Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Probability

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Probability [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2003, 08:51
Hi bb

I am currently reading the Kaplan Math Workbook and find that Kaplan doesent concentrate much on Probability. I sometimes get beaten by the free daily email questions that I get from "Delta Course" most of which is Probablility. Any recommendations on some "Probability Guide" or ways to improve the same ?

Thanks & Regards
iceman
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2003, 19:55
You know what I ended up doing. I spent sunday afternoon looking through math review books in barnes and noble. There was one book called introduction to statistics that did a 30 page review on probability, counting, permutations etc. It wasn't the greatest review but considering the other books lack this info, it's better than a paragraph overview. I wonder why none of the books even touch the subject. Your best bet is just to check out some statistics book that has a chapter in probability. Wish I still had the one I used in college.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12187
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8812 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2003, 04:42
Expert's post
andyd wrote:
You know what I ended up doing. I spent sunday afternoon looking through math review books in barnes and noble. There was one book called introduction to statistics that did a 30 page review on probability, counting, permutations etc. It wasn't the greatest review but considering the other books lack this info, it's better than a paragraph overview. I wonder why none of the books even touch the subject. Your best bet is just to check out some statistics book that has a chapter in probability. Wish I still had the one I used in college.



You are right about probability; I got my butt fried by that on the test.

Kaplan does not have it and I did not expect to get much - I did not have OG, so I was not very aware of the test requirements, etc - my mistake of fully trusting to Kaplan, anyway,

There is a book supposedly called Schaum's Outline of Statistics or Probability.

I want to buy one to look though it but I heard a few people recommend it. I have not read one yet, but If you find any good guide I will be thankfurl for a personal recommendation or such,

Bogdan.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Probability [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2003, 08:32
Thanks for the suggestions

I will try out atleast one of the books mentioned by both of you.
and also recommend when I get a chance for the same.

To Bogdan : I dont know if you remember that you had asked me earlier to comment on the book "Power Reading".
My Comments : The book is basically a techinique for speed reading. It does help in improving one's reading speed (words per minute). I am not aware of other techniques, but this technique doesen't sacrifice comprehension when reading faster. It is easy, simple and short and it takes about 2-3 weeks to skim through. Does this really help in GMAT ?? This is a difficult question to answer as I guess it depends from person to person. But I surely feel that one should be able to atleast confidently face RC if speed reading techniques like the above is touched upon.

Regards
iceman
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 24
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2003, 18:06
The book Bogdan is referring to is called "Theory and Problems of Probability and Statisics" by Murray R. Spiegel.

I believe this is an excellent reference for probability, perms., and combs.. For the purposes of the GMAT, you wil only need to learn the material in Chapter 1.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2003, 19:18
I'm gonna go check that one out :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12187
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8812 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2003, 03:20
Expert's post
kdog3490 wrote:
The book Bogdan is referring to is called "Theory and Problems of Probability and Statisics" by Murray R. Spiegel.

I believe this is an excellent reference for probability, perms., and combs.. For the purposes of the GMAT, you wil only need to learn the material in Chapter 1.


Kdog,

thank you for the title, I will add it to the recommended books list.

I really have not seen the book; I just heard a lot that some of the Schaum's series were recommended but when I took a look at them there are like 10 different Schaum's books on Probability and such.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12187
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8812 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Probability [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2003, 03:22
Expert's post
iceman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions

I will try out atleast one of the books mentioned by both of you.
and also recommend when I get a chance for the same.

To Bogdan : I dont know if you remember that you had asked me earlier to comment on the book "Power Reading".
My Comments : The book is basically a techinique for speed reading. It does help in improving one's reading speed (words per minute). I am not aware of other techniques, but this technique doesen't sacrifice comprehension when reading faster. It is easy, simple and short and it takes about 2-3 weeks to skim through. Does this really help in GMAT ?? This is a difficult question to answer as I guess it depends from person to person. But I surely feel that one should be able to atleast confidently face RC if speed reading techniques like the above is touched upon.

Regards
iceman



Iceman, good to see you back.

I remember now as you have mentioned that I asked you, but it was not something I woke up with :wink:
Re: Probability   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2003, 03:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Probability Priti 8 19 Aug 2005, 11:12
Probability mirhaque 9 29 Jun 2005, 18:06
Probability peterpan 4 18 Dec 2004, 19:21
Probability oxon 5 07 Nov 2004, 12:13
Probability.... bdoll_123 0 23 Sep 2004, 07:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Probability

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.