Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Problem I am facing in GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 78

Problem I am facing in GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

25% (02:56) correct 75% (03:38) wrong based on 4 sessions
While solving the GMAT problems, I am facing a problem of assuming information.. For example, in the below question, it is mentioned that the increase is 'constant amount'. But when I read this question, I assumed it is constant rate of increase, and complicated a simple problem.

This happens to me in considerable number of problems in verbal and quant. Could somebody help me on how should I work on this, please?

Example Question:
when a certain tree was first planted, it was 4 feet tall & the height of the tree increased by a constant amount each year for the next 6 years. at the end of 6 year the tree was 1/5 taller then it was at the end of 4 year. by how many feet did the height of the tree increase each year
a 3/10
b 2/5
c 1/2
d 2/3
e 6/5
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Problem I am facing in GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 18:03
supposed the first year is Xo =4
year 1 = X1= 4+a
year 2 X=4+2a.... so year 4 : X4=4+4a
year 6= 4+6a
year 6= (1/5 +1)year 4
so it should be : 4+6a=1/5(4+4a)+4+4a and you solved it and the answer is 2/3
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 828 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Problem I am facing in GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 05:20
bsaikrishna wrote:
While solving the GMAT problems, I am facing a problem of assuming information.. For example, in the below question, it is mentioned that the increase is 'constant amount'. But when I read this question, I assumed it is constant rate of increase, and complicated a simple problem.

This happens to me in considerable number of problems in verbal and quant. Could somebody help me on how should I work on this, please?

Example Question:
when a certain tree was first planted, it was 4 feet tall & the height of the tree increased by a constant amount each year for the next 6 years. at the end of 6 year the tree was 1/5 taller then it was at the end of 4 year. by how many feet did the height of the tree increase each year
a 3/10
b 2/5
c 1/2
d 2/3
e 6/5

This question is already discussed here:
percent-increase-27208.html

~fluke

Re: Problem I am facing in GMAT   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2011, 05:20