Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Problem understanding passages [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shraddha24 wrote:
Hi,

I have started with verbal for GMAT preparation. I am facing challange that while reading a passage, both in RC and CR I infer incorrect meaning of a sentence. It's only after reading it 2-3 times that I get to understand what it is actually conveying. I think most of the times it is because that passage is talking about something I have no idea of. But I end up choosing incorrect answer due to this.
For example it could be something that results in loss in market, but I would interpret it as it may be talking about gain.

Also sometimes while reading such passages I find hard to concentrate to understand the passage. I would rate my verbal skills and vocab as average. I have been trying to read novel and other things to improve my verbal. But I can't see the improvement in RC, CR for these 2 problems.

What can I do to overcome these 2 problems?

First: the best way to get better at reading is by reading a lot. But this doesn't happen overnight. Read high-quality nonfiction every single day for at least a few minutes, and/or read one reading comp passage per day, most days of the week. Keep working! You've spent your entire life reading and writing, things aren't going to change quickly.

Second: Understanding the passage means different things to different people. On the GMAT, it's easy to think that you need to understand the content of the passage. Think about the notes you took in high school or college. What showed up in those notes? Content - facts, figures, names, and places. On the GMAT, you need only a very minimal understanding of the content, for two reasons. One, it's an 'open-book test' - you can go back and look at the passage again whenever you need to. Two, the content can't be too complex, because it has to be straightforward enough that the questions they ask about it can be answered by anybody who's read the passage. They can't require you to understand biology, sociology, etc. Every question must be answerable by somebody who knows nothing about the content. So, even if the content looks complicated, it's probably just because they dressed it up with jargon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi Shradha,

I was facing similar issue a month back, when I heard about Gin's RC notes available on the gmatclub. Initially I used to face problems understanding the para mostly beaches most of the RC tricks I learnt suggested me to browse quickly. After studying from Gin's notes, you would get a totally different approach to solve RC. Hope this helps:)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts