Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Problem with Verbal section in practice tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Problem with Verbal section in practice tests [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 14:02
Hi,

Actually I have a serious problem. Several days ago I took the Manhattan Practice Test, with an overall score of 650 (Q45, V34, Int reas - 4,5). Not good enough. Since then, I revised all the math section in the GMAT REVIEW, did several Verbal exercices from the end of each chapter of the book, so the hardest ones, did actually well on these ones, and today I took the GMATPrep practice test to see improvements.

I had a mini heart attack when I saw the score which appeared after the Verbal section finished. I had quite hard questions, so I thought the score will be at least as good as my 1st one. This is what i saw - 590 (Q47 , V25 (!!!!!!!!!) , Int reas - 8 ). I really don't understand such a decline. As expected, my math part improved quite nicely, but even though I had more good answers in the Verbal section - 14 wrong this time against 18 wrong during my 1st attempt in the Manhattan test - the overall declined dramatically. I cannot explain this logically.

What do you think about that? I'm writing the real exam in 3 days and I'm really worried about all this...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7667 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Problem with Verbal section in practice tests [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 14:05
Expert's post
There has been an algorithm change with MGMAT tests - don't worry. Relax. This is not a red flag or a reason to panic any more than most people usually do 3 days before.

Try to focus on reviewing, refreshing, and light practice these days.
Take a test 24 hrs before and remember to take each question one at a time. Don't worry about your future, where your kids will go to school, and which Porche you will buy in your mid-life crisis. Just take it one question at a time, and don't dwell on it about the past questions or about the future ones.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Problem with Verbal section in practice tests [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 14:13
I'm really far from thinking about Porsche or anything else during the test, believe me ;)

You are saying that the MGMAT test isn't even nearly as accurate as the GMATPrep is ?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7667 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Problem with Verbal section in practice tests [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 14:14
Expert's post
lkst wrote:
I'm really far from thinking about Porsche or anything else during the test, believe me ;)

You are saying that the MGMAT test isn't even nearly as accurate as the GMATPrep is ?

They changed their algorithm so there is some variance for a while and yes, GMAT Prep is always the most accurate tool (regardless of any changes).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Problem with Verbal section in practice tests [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 14:20
bb wrote:
lkst wrote:

They changed their algorithm so there is some variance for a while and yes, GMAT Prep is always the most accurate tool (regardless of any changes).

Ok then, i'll try to do only the verbal section of the test this time, we'll see, I hope it was just an accident.

Thanks
Re: Problem with Verbal section in practice tests   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2013, 14:20