Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 21:50
Has anyone else noticed that some of the MGMAT Test verbal questions have questionable answers/explanations? I felt that when I did OG and GMATPrep, there was always a clear, undebatable answer. But this has not been the case for me with MGMAT, at least thus far. There have been several instances when I felt the answer was debatable.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 3

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
I fully agree.
I think MGMAT prep material is absolutely fantastic, i raised my quant from about 33 to 43 just by reading the math guides, but the verbal section of the CATs tend to have a couple funky questions.

I had a couple where I read the answer 4 or 5 times and got incredibly frustrated because the answer didn't make sense or my original answer still seemed right. I also had a question where I had to calculate a percentage to get the right answer, there must have been an easier way I know, but I have never seen anything comparable in the OG...?
I also score significantly lower on MGMAT Verbal. I think MGMAT CATS are overall a tad harder than other CATS, (thats what I hope at least!).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 10:20
Hahahah I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this one. Have you taken the actual GMAT yet, or are you still prepping? What about GMATPrep? How did you do on those compared to how you did on MGMAT? I'm still scoring relatively well on MGMAT Verbal, but I think I could do a lot better.

Yeah, there were quite a few times where when I was setting out to answer the question, none of the choices seemed ideal and I felt I had to choose the answer that was least wrong. Then when the answer was explained (which was never what I had picked), they got off on some sort of technicality, if even that. There were definitely times when I was still unconvinced about the correctness of the answer and could imagine a situation where GMAC (or whoever it is that writes the test) would face a lawsuit if this appeared on the exam because the answer was not clearly right. Am I being too extreme? Haha wasting precious exam time fantasizing about lawsuits?

Perhaps the issue is that I need to be more careful when reading all the questions and answers? I thought I was good at grammar and reasoning because I was an English major and breezed through the verbal questions in OG11. But maybe I just hadn't encountered the really hard stuff. I was relying for the most part on intuition and experience, but maybe I need to pick up the MGMAT Verbal Guides to help me learn the actual rules and strategies. I just don't want to be bogged down by unnecessary information.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 16:32
Yes. So far I've finished MGMAT CR and RC and the respective sections in OG. I found OG to be a lot easier than the MGMAT. And I agree that the answers in OG are clearly right or wrong, but the ones in MGMAT are iffy or blurry. I am hoping this is because OG is by the makers of the test and MGMAT are just trying to emulate OG questions and they are close but not perfect.

Does anyone know if the hardest Q's in OG Verbal are representative of the hardest Q's on the GMAT? Would MGMAT Verbal be more representative? (I hope not.)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 6

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 10:33
Oh thank god I saw this post. I was starting to freak out.

I scored 36 and 38 on the 2 MGMAT tests I took. I've never gone below 40 on any other practice tests (usually scoring 44-45). I've been spending all of my time on Quant since that's my weak area and I was starting to think I had no strong areas!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2298

Kudos [?]: 9063 [0], given: 3680

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 10:37
Expert's post
Just a general observation of an old timer - ALL non official verbal tests/questions are off. Some are really off and others are just a little bit off but all of them are not the perfect GMAC logic/setup. It is very hard to get verbal right and that should mean 2 things to you:
1. If something looks crazy/off/unreasonable, good chance it is
2. You should review one of the Official Guides the last week or two before your test to "tune" your brain to that logic/questions, and explanations. This is esp helpful for situations when you end up having 2 good answers.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 3

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 10:40
same here! I scored a 33 on verbal on an MGMAT test and on other tests had never gotten below 44...
I also was shocked because I've been spending most of my study time on quant..
after the test I decided to take a CAT break for a couple of weeks - and I focused on quant anyway, under the assumption that the MGMAT test is not representative of my actual verbal level... (i hope!).

But to be honest, that MGMAT score scared me enough that I have decided to do at least the last 40 OG verbal questions (I had planned on skipping them entirely) - better safe than sorry!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 6

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 11:02
Yes I've decided to visit the OG too after this experience.
Manager
Manager

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 05:59
aaahhhhh - ok no more MGMAT CATs for me.

last week - 33 Verbal 43 Quant
this week - 43 Verbal 34 Quant

Does that make sense! I scored 43 on Quant 3 times in a row before this exam...

Someone please give me hope!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 4

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
I have the same gripe with the MGMAT CATs, they really throw me off when I am trying to guage my progress. On my first exam before any studying scored a 610 (40q 35??V), then after 3 months of hard studying I scored a 590 (37Q 40V). After being very depressed took GMATprep scored 690 (47q38v). I understand that they are trying to make their tests harder than the actual GMAT so you don't freak out when you see a ridiculous question, but some of their question are very weird. On my 2 GMATpreps and one power prep I have averaged 1 wrong in CR and zero wrong in RC, my weak area in Verbal has been SC, I took a MGMAT CAT yesterday 87% hit rate in SC, and sub 50% in RC and CR. Going over the test their CR and RC questions are questionable. I am not bashing MGMAT at all their guide books are amazing, I am just saying that the quant questions on their CATs are harder than what you will see on the GMAT (probably a good thing, but frustrating nevertheless) and their CR and RC questions are a little off. I have read this advice on this forum before, but now I know for myself "when studying for RC and CR stick to OG"
Manager
Manager

Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 06:36
That right there is exactly what I needed! I feel a bit better now, hopefully enough to survive the next 2 weeks of studying before my actual exam.

I'm also a big fan of the MGMAT Prep material (see my first post above), it really is great, but the CATs just seem a bit off - I really hope they aren't representative of the real GMAT. Don't get me wrong, I have learned a lot from the MGMAT CATs but the scoring and the difficulty level seem odd.

I did the whole OG quant and the all of the PS questions of the OG12 between those 2 exams, and I went from a 43 to a 34... it just can't be right (or something is seriously wrong with me)!
Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests?   [#permalink] 02 May 2010, 06:36