Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Product Manager with 10 years of experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 09:14
Hi Alex, Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile.

GMAT Score: 720/ 6 (Q: 49; V:40)

Nationality: Indian; Gender: Male; Age: 33

Education:
UnderGrad: Electronics & Communications Engineering
PostGrad: MBA Systems and Marketing
[Both from Indian universities]

Have ranked among top 3 in my class in both my UG and PG.

Work Experience:
10 years in software product management, consulting and implementation.

Current (Since 2005): Global Product Manager for a Talent Management product in an Enterprise Business Software market leader; Global Product Manager also for a Sustainability-related product.
Earlier (2000 - 2005): Product Manager for HR software product in an India-based Enterprise Business Software company.

Global Experience:
Managed development teams in India and Germany, sales and consulting teams across the globe.
Nurtured and worked with partners across the globe.
Led the implementation of HR systems in several customer sites in the South East Asia, the Middle East and in India.
Currently have the responsibility of developing product strategies for the Indian market.

Extra-Curricular:
- Have published a book in my area of expertise
- Have started a mobile app company.
- Have successfully coached a team of 5 kids from 6th-7th grade from a very poor economic background for the - First Lego League competition; the team ranked all India no. 4 and were selected to participate in the Taiwan International competition.
- Regular guest speaker at IBS business school in Bangalore in my area of expertise
- Consistent and consecutive prize winner for the best written stories in my company's internal magazine

I would like to pursue a MBA course from one of these schools: Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Wharton, Sloan, Booth, Ross, Columbia, Yale, IMD, INSEAD and IESE.

I would like to know my chances given my age and my profile. Also I would like to know if my candidature would have more chances with EMBA than full-time ones. And please also suggest schools where I can do a 12 to 18 months course. Thanks,
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 18:34
Without knowing what you actually want to do with your career going forward, there's no way anyone can tell you what schools you should target, or even whether you should even get an MBA at all.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 20:02
Alex,

I consider my 2nd MBA as a means to achieve the following goals:

Short-term goal: Product Strategy (continue in software) / Business evaluation and investment (typical VC functions)
Long-term goal: Start own venture in the area of rural/ heritage tourism

Besides the rigour of the course and learning from business thought leaders, I foresee that I will get access to such VCs and the alumni network of such schools. Such contacts, I believe, would help me in realizing my goals.

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 08:43
Do an exec MBA. Your chances at getting a 2nd MBA from a top school are slim. There are only so many top schools out there with exec MBA programs, so rather than me telling you what to do, I highly encourage you to do the research on your own, as the process of doing that is invaluable.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 22:55
Alex,

Thanks so much for your answer. I understand your line of reasoning. I just want to ask you one more question: My wife is also a MBA degree holder and she has 5 years of work exp. She will not be able to apply for a EMBA at this time and as you said, most colleges do not encourage a 2nd MBA applicant for their full time MBA. So, what other options are there for such candidates?

Regards,
Shankar.

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:45
...continue working? Not sure I understand your question.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 21:36
Sorry Alex. To elaborate my previous post: My wife and I are both MBA aspirants. We fall under different ranges in terms of work experience. We feel the need to do a MBA now.

Though I have the option of EMBA to consider, my wife seems to have lesser experience to qualify for such a program.

Is the only option for such people to continue working till they qualify for EMBA? And the other question is what if such an applicant wants a change of career (industry & role) - an EMBA doesn't seem to be the right choice for such applicants?

What would you suggest to such applicants? Do all top schools simply refuse to take a look at 2nd time MBAs or do they make any exceptions?

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 14:23
Here's the thing.

In this day and age, most of us will be changing careers every 10-15 years or so. You can't just go back to school to get an MBA each and every time you are changing a career, or you'll have like 5 MBAs by the time you're 70.

Sooner or later, you have to find a way to change careers without using "degree certifications" as some lifeline to get you there.

If you're looking for recruiting opportunities, it's not like MBA students are just waiting for job opportunities to fall on their lap. They HAUL ASS. They work just as hard if not harder to get job offers as one would working full-time and trying to make the switch.

Schools for the most part will not want someone who already has an MBA.

I'm not going to tell you not to apply -- but it just seems like you're putting way too much stock into what a 2nd MBA can give you.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 06:34
Alex, I quite agree with you. It doesn't definitely make sense to think of a MBA as a means to career advancement or career change.

My intention is not to use it for such purposes alone. May be I have not been able to express my objectives in a much clearer fashion in this forum.

Thanks once again for your clear and straight answers. Appreciate it very much.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 21:50
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Here's the thing.

In this day and age, most of us will be changing careers every 10-15 years or so. You can't just go back to school to get an MBA each and every time you are changing a career, or you'll have like 5 MBAs by the time you're 70.

Sooner or later, you have to find a way to change careers without using "degree certifications" as some lifeline to get you there.

If you're looking for recruiting opportunities, it's not like MBA students are just waiting for job opportunities to fall on their lap. They HAUL ASS. They work just as hard if not harder to get job offers as one would working full-time and trying to make the switch.

Schools for the most part will not want someone who already has an MBA.

I'm not going to tell you not to apply -- but it just seems like you're putting way too much stock into what a 2nd MBA can give you.

your replies are awesome man...haha....
Re: Product Manager with 10 years of experience   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2010, 21:50