Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 128 [3] , given: 136

Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:40) correct 52% (01:26) wrong based on 401 sessions
Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing products often command substantially higher prices in the marketplace.BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS, many consumer technology companies charge as much as possible for their new designs to extract as much value as possible from them.But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs. Therefore, THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

Consider the sentences in uppercase to be the boldfaced parts.

Q: In the argument above , the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?
(A) The First is an assumption that supports a described course of action; The second provides a consideration to support a preferred course of action.
(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy;the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy ; the second is that strategy.
(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed; the second describes a way to amend that approach.
(E) The first is a factor used to rationalize a particular strategy; The second is a factor against that strategy.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Last edited by WaterFlowsUp on 11 Oct 2013, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
modified OA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5024 [1] , given: 164

Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 01:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to competing products often command substantially higher prices in the marketplace.BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS, many consumer technology companies charge as much as possible for their new designs to extract as much value as possible from them.But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs. Therefore, THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

Q: In the argument above , the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?
(A) The First is an assumption that supports a described course of action; The second provides a consideration to support a preferred course of action.
(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy;the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy ; the second is that strategy.
(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed; the second describes a way to amend that approach.
(E) The first is a factor used to rationalize a particular strategy; The second is a factor against that strategy.

Responding to a pm:

There are two strategies discussed here:
1. charge as much as possible for their new designs
2. CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

The argument endorses the second strategy.

The first statement in bold "BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS" explains the reason for the appeal of the first strategy.
The second statement in bold is the second strategy, the strategy endorsed by the argument.

Answer is option (B) (not (C)).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:37
Can you please confirm himanshu that the OA is B or C . .I am nobody to challenge the accuracy of Karishma and infact i also marked B for this , but after looking at answer i was able to justify C . as the first bolded phrase does justify the strategy in second bold face and for B

The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy >> to extract as much profit as possible yes it refers to this strategy but the wording of answer choice does create confusion. .

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 136

Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 21:28
@ PUNEETSCHDV

The OA is C. However, I would recommend you not to study this problem, rather solve OG Boldface questions. The structure of this CR is very much similar to one of the OG question. I don't have OG with myself right now, otherwise would have posted the problem number.

Thanks
H

PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
Can you please confirm Himanshu that the OA is B or C . .I am nobody to challenge the accuracy of Karishma and infact i also marked B for this , but after looking at answer i was able to justify C . as the first bolded phrase does justify the strategy in second bold face and for B

The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy >> to extract as much profit as possible yes it refers to this strategy but the wording of answer choice does create confusion. .

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5024 [0], given: 164

Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 22:00
Expert's post
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
Can you please confirm himanshu that the OA is B or C . .I am nobody to challenge the accuracy of Karishma and infact i also marked B for this , but after looking at answer i was able to justify C . as the first bolded phrase does justify the strategy in second bold face and for B

Again, C is incorrect. Don't take my word for it. Think on your own.

C says:
The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy - this is fine. It justifies "charge as much as possible for their new designs"
the second is that strategy. - this is incorrect. The second is not the strategy that the first part justifies. The second is the strategy "CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE."

B says:
The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy; - this is fine. It explains the appeal of "charge as much as possible for their new designs"
the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument. - this is fine. It presents "CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE", the strategy endorsed by the argument.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 23:40
I go with B. the first portion supports first strategy (higher pricing) and the second portion is an alternate strategy (lower pricing).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 04:09
i just wanted to confirm that does first bold face justifies the second strategy or not ?? to me it seems it does. .do not charge the greatest possible to discourage the copiers . ..

BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS. . . therefore THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

is it fine to read the two bold face parts in relative to the whole stimulus and also to read them relative to each other before moving to answers or should we read them relative to stimulus only and not relative to each other as this might distract us , as i do find logic in C for this one ??

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Expert Post

Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 18:21
Expert's post
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
i just wanted to confirm that does first bold face justifies the second strategy or not ?? to me it seems it does. .do not charge the greatest possible to discourage the copiers . ..

BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS. . . therefore THE BEST STRATEGY TO MAXIMIZE OVERALL PROFIT FROM AN INNOVATIVE NEW DESIGN IS TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

is it fine to read the two bold face parts in relative to the whole stimulus and also to read them relative to each other before moving to answers or should we read them relative to stimulus only and not relative to each other as this might distract us , as i do find logic in C for this one ??

The argument gives the first bold statement to support strategy 1 (charge greatest). Another line in the argument "But large profits generated by innovative designs give stronger incentives to copy the designs." supports strategy 2 (charge less).

You do not read the boldface sentences relative to each other. You read them only relative to the entire argument. Look at the question asked: "In the argument above, the 2 portions in boldface (uppercase) play which of the following roles ?"

What role do the boldface portions play in the ARGUMENT?

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 136

Re: Products with Innovative and appealing design [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 23:07
Try doing Verbal Review question 74. The structure of above posted question is similar to that of V.R question.

Thanks

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 17:36
For the record, the source of this question is MGMAT CR 5th Edition and MGMAT has acknowledged in the errata that the correct answer is in fact B not C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 19:51
Can somebody explain why the answer is not E?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5024 [1] , given: 164

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 23:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mohnish104 wrote:
Can somebody explain why the answer is not E?

(E) is incorrect because the second bold statement is not a factor against the strategy to charge as much as possible but it is actually an alternative strategy - "to charge less".
(B) gives you the correct answer.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 13:11
The question is from MGMAT CR 5th Edition guide and official answer is C.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy; the second is that strategy.

However I m still not very sure about OA. :roll:
I think it should b B and this is how I derived it:-

(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.

As, Because design innovations are quickly copied by other manufacturers - first is a consideration that helps explained why companies increased their product's price in order to get maximum profit.
the best strategy to maximize overall profit from an innovative new design is to charge less than the greatest possible price. - As it states, its another strategy to maximize their profit.

Please tell me where I m wrong.
Expert Post

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:08
Expert's post
fnumiamisburg wrote:
The question is from MGMAT CR 5th Edition guide and official answer is C.
(C) The first is a phenomenon that justifies a specific strategy; the second is that strategy.

However I m still not very sure about OA. :roll:
I think it should b B and this is how I derived it:-

(B) The first is a consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second presents an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument.

As, Because design innovations are quickly copied by other manufacturers - first is a consideration that helps explained why companies increased their product's price in order to get maximum profit.
the best strategy to maximize overall profit from an innovative new design is to charge less than the greatest possible price. - As it states, its another strategy to maximize their profit.

Please tell me where I m wrong.

OA - C is errata. Correct answer is (B). Check this: products-with-innovative-and-appealing-designs-relative-to-136717.html#p1250728

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 12:09
I approached it this way:

"Therefore" - a sign that the conclusion is coming. The second boldface is a conclusion and I looked for that in answer choices. "an alternative strategy endorsed by the argument" - the best choice among all the answers (B). Following this reasoning, first boldface, "consideration that helps explain the appeal of a certain strategy", fits perfectly - as it makes a correct link between 'certain strategy' and 'alternative strategy'.

Hope this helps,
MJ
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 99

CAT Tests
Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 20:26
Can someone please clarify why D is wrong? D seems to fit perfectly.
Expert Post

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 22:33
Expert's post
HKHR wrote:
Can someone please clarify why D is wrong? D seems to fit perfectly.

Certain strategy - charge as much as possible for their new designs
Appeal of the strategy (reason this strategy is applied) - BECAUSE DESIGN INNOVATIONS ARE QUICKLY COPIED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS,

Another strategy endorsed by the argument - TO CHARGE LESS THAN THE GREATEST POSSIBLE PRICE

(D) The first is a consideration that demonstrates why a particular approach is flawed;...
This is incorrect. The first bold statement does not demonstrate the flaw of the approach. It demonstrates the appeal of the approach. Companies charge as much as possible at the outset because innovations are quickly copied.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 08:47
imhimanshu wrote:

Thank you for your response Karishma. But I have a follow up question on D. If you look at the text in red, I feel it demonstrates why this particular approach is flawed. The text in blue suggests a way to amend this approach, which is to charge less than the greatest possible price. Any mistake in this interpretation?
Expert Post

Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 22:06
Expert's post
HKHR wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

Thank you for your response Karishma. But I have a follow up question on D. If you look at the text in red, I feel it demonstrates why this particular approach is flawed. The text in blue suggests a way to amend this approach, which is to charge less than the greatest possible price. Any mistake in this interpretation?

Your interpretation is correct.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 23:35
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
HKHR wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

Your interpretation is correct.

If my interpretation is correct then option D is correct, right? I am sorry to ask so many questions but I am confused. :(
Re: Products with innovative and appealing designs relative to   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2014, 23:35