Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prof Eval: Thanks in advance!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Prof Eval: Thanks in advance! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 06:23
Thank you to everyone in the GmatClub! You are all amazing!!

Paul,

Thank you in advance for your help and I also thank you for your previous contributions to this group. Your posts have proven to be amazingly helpful for all of us. I’ve written a good overview of myself. Could you please share your thoughts on my chances at my target schools? I feel I am a pretty strong candidate given my work exp, undergrad, extra-curricular commitments. If anyone in a similar situation (previous or current) has any thoughts I'd be glad to hear them.

Target Schools:
Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Wharton, Chicago, Duke (amongst others)

Why these schools?:
I currently work in Sales/Trading at a major bulge-bracket I-bank (Merrill Lynch). I would like to further hone my skills further into asset management/selection primarily in alternative assets and prefer programs that offer significant opportunities for MBAs to specialize in this area. In my discussions with these schools I’ve learned that many offer both breadth and depth of finance elective courses which cater to my aspirations. After graduation I would like to work at an asset mgmt firm and then one day start my own investment management fund/firm.

My background:
Atlanta GA, from Colorado/Montana
American, white, male, currently 24 (26 on matriculation Fall ’09)
Undergrad: 3.1 Goizueta (Emory) 2 majors: Finance, and Decision Information Analysis
GMAT: Not yet taken, indicated for high 600s closing on 700. Shooting for 710+

Work experience:
I graduated from Emory in Spring ’05. Currently I’ve been working for 2 years, at matriculation I will have 4 years of post-graduating work experience. I also worked (nearly) fulltime while in college.

Current:
Investment Analyst for Merrill Lynch in the areas of Sales/Trading. It is a very international office with many clients overseas. The position itself has a pretty typical I-bank description, but the international exposure is immense in my group.

College:
(1) (2 years) Teaching Assistant: Taught, created new courses, graded exams/projets
(2) (4 years) Research Assistant: Worked with Assoc Dean, several professors
(3) (1 year) Marketing/Strategy Internship @ Bloomingdale’s

Extra-curricular:

Current:
Theme – I strongly believe in giving back to my Alma Mater through a direct and personal one-on-one approach. I prefer to see the direct impact of my contributions to the lives of my peers and have coordinated my time and efforts accordingly.
(1) (2 years) I am an alumni mentor for current BBA students at Emory
(2) (1 year) Panelist for BBA Career Mgmt office: Sales/Trading and Finance Interviews
(3) (2 years) Active member of Emory Young Alumni Association

College:
I stayed quite busy and took many leadership positions in addition to working several jobs to pay for college. I do know that my GPA is slightly lower than my targets school's average, but I feel that my other involvements and leadership roles show strength.
(1) Social Chair, VP, and then President of my Fraternity
(2) Treasurer of the Interfraternity Council
(3) Business Editor and Founding Member: Emory Political Review
(4) FAME: Freshman Advisor/Mentor
(5) Men’s Water Polo team
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Prof Eval: Thanks in advance! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2007, 20:15
Expert's post
bullbear420 wrote:
Thank you to everyone in the GmatClub! You are all amazing!!

Paul,

Thank you in advance for your help and I also thank you for your previous contributions to this group. Your posts have proven to be amazingly helpful for all of us. I’ve written a good overview of myself. Could you please share your thoughts on my chances at my target schools? I feel I am a pretty strong candidate given my work exp, undergrad, extra-curricular commitments. If anyone in a similar situation (previous or current) has any thoughts I'd be glad to hear them.

Target Schools:
Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Wharton, Chicago, Duke (amongst others)

Why these schools?:
I currently work in Sales/Trading at a major bulge-bracket I-bank (Merrill Lynch). I would like to further hone my skills further into asset management/selection primarily in alternative assets and prefer programs that offer significant opportunities for MBAs to specialize in this area. In my discussions with these schools I’ve learned that many offer both breadth and depth of finance elective courses which cater to my aspirations. After graduation I would like to work at an asset mgmt firm and then one day start my own investment management fund/firm.

My background:
Atlanta GA, from Colorado/Montana
American, white, male, currently 24 (26 on matriculation Fall ’09)
Undergrad: 3.1 Goizueta (Emory) 2 majors: Finance, and Decision Information Analysis
GMAT: Not yet taken, indicated for high 600s closing on 700. Shooting for 710+

Work experience:
I graduated from Emory in Spring ’05. Currently I’ve been working for 2 years, at matriculation I will have 4 years of post-graduating work experience. I also worked (nearly) fulltime while in college.

Current:
Investment Analyst for Merrill Lynch in the areas of Sales/Trading. It is a very international office with many clients overseas. The position itself has a pretty typical I-bank description, but the international exposure is immense in my group.

College:
(1) (2 years) Teaching Assistant: Taught, created new courses, graded exams/projets
(2) (4 years) Research Assistant: Worked with Assoc Dean, several professors
(3) (1 year) Marketing/Strategy Internship @ Bloomingdale’s

Extra-curricular:

Current:
Theme – I strongly believe in giving back to my Alma Mater through a direct and personal one-on-one approach. I prefer to see the direct impact of my contributions to the lives of my peers and have coordinated my time and efforts accordingly.
(1) (2 years) I am an alumni mentor for current BBA students at Emory
(2) (1 year) Panelist for BBA Career Mgmt office: Sales/Trading and Finance Interviews
(3) (2 years) Active member of Emory Young Alumni Association

College:
I stayed quite busy and took many leadership positions in addition to working several jobs to pay for college. I do know that my GPA is slightly lower than my targets school's average, but I feel that my other involvements and leadership roles show strength.
(1) Social Chair, VP, and then President of my Fraternity
(2) Treasurer of the Interfraternity Council
(3) Business Editor and Founding Member: Emory Political Review
(4) FAME: Freshman Advisor/Mentor
(5) Men’s Water Polo team

bullbear420,

Apologies for the long delay in replying; the first-round deadlines swamped me. I congratulate you on maximizing your profile--you seem to have worked hard to make it meaty and send the right signals. It's a good one, especially for someone your age--right on the lower edge of B-school's typical applicant age range. I like the way you have compensated for the lack of leadership roles typical for your career track by your strong leadership in school, and being an active alumnus is very smart indeed.

The GPA is a modest weakness, somewhat offset by your activities and double quant-heavy major. Still, a 700+ GMAT would put that negative securely to bed. Anything less may keep it hovering in the background, especially given the quant focus of your goals and the caliber of school you're shooting for. So you don't appear to have any major weaknesses, but you are still aiming high so I'll say:
1. Longshots: Columbia, Wharton, Chicago (not in the 'it'll take a miracle' sense but in the 'you're not quite in the full competitive candidate category' yet (but in another year, quite possibly)
2. Less of a longshot, more doable: NYU
3. Competitive, you can be optimistic: Cornell, Duke (amongst others)

I hope this helps. I see you as a work in progress that's definitely heading in the right direction.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog