Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

professional crossroads and impending gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 592

Kudos [?]: 2166 [0], given: 681

professional crossroads and impending gmat [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 12:36
Expert's post
Before I go into the main topic, a little background
I am Indian/male/NON IT.
I am working for Siemens Ltd for the last one year
Got into Siemens right after graduation
My college GPA is average and college extra-curricular is pretty great(have been the cultural secretary and placement coordinator)
I am about to take my gmat in september. Currently I am at 710-720 level. Hoping to aim at 760 and thereby apply for fall 2014(will be completing 3 years of work ex by then)
Short term Goals(5 years after bschool): Get into general management/Marketing mostly in consumer electronics. This is majorly to repay the loan and gain some corporate experience from a bird's eye view
Long Term Goal: I am incredibly amused the quality of education that is being taught at almost all states of India. I have figured that more than teaching the poor, i am interested in excellent education and personality development, and thereby I want to open my own institute.

With the long term goal in mind I have applied for Teach For India fellowship program. This will make me quit my high pay job at siemens and go outside my state and rely on a low income for 2 years. Also, this will defer my bschool admission for a year.
But considering my long term goal I think I ll enjoy this work more than what I do now, and this would help me in the long run.

I see tons of people in gmatclub with altruistic wisdom. Please help me out and tell me whether I am doing the right thing. Post 2 years, I have to get into a bschool, considering siemens wont take me back and applying to engg companies after teaching for 2 years does not make much sense.
Also, I wanted to know would GMAT adcoms undervalue my work ex as a teach for india fellow for 2 years. In that case it might just become too risky and probably I ll have to stay in siemens and work something part time in the education industry.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: professional crossroads and impending gmat [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 03:27
If you feel passionate about teaching and education, you should take that route. I know a person who left Unilever and worked for Teach for India in very underprivileged areas for few years, and then went to Harvard. The key point you should note here is not to take up that route to get into a top business school. It is not an easy job and don't take that route unless you are extremely passionate about making an impact. If you do this truthfully, I strongly believe you can get into any top school out there. Schools are looking for people who can make that strong impact on the world, whether it is business, education, art, etc. They are looking for tomorrow's leaders. Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For the Interview
Mock Interviews By Current Students and Alumni
Re: professional crossroads and impending gmat   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2012, 03:27