Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

'Professional' Recommendation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

'Professional' Recommendation [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 13:16
Hello,

I have a question about the definition of 'Professional' in the context of a B-School recommendation. Is a professional recommendation strictly from the work place?

For example, Columbia (and many other schools) states the following:

All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.

I have considerable nonprofit experience (I run one), and I was planning to ask one of my board members (his organization also happens to support my nonprofit) to give me a recommendation. Is his recommendation considered 'Professional'?

Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: 'Professional' Recommendation [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 17:03
Expert's post
kommitted wrote:
Hello,

I have a question about the definition of 'Professional' in the context of a B-School recommendation. Is a professional recommendation strictly from the work place?

For example, Columbia (and many other schools) states the following:

All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.

I have considerable nonprofit experience (I run one), and I was planning to ask one of my board members (his organization also happens to support my nonprofit) to give me a recommendation. Is his recommendation considered 'Professional'?

Thanks in advance.

"Professional" usually implies the work place and your day job. However if your NFP experience is significant or it relates strongly to your post-MBA goal or show significant managerial or leadership ability the schools may want it despite the fact that it isn't "professional" in the narrowest sense of the word.

What they almost always don't want is academic.

In your case, I would either post to the CBS thread on GMAT Club or email CBS admissions to say that you have significant experience that you feel reflects whatever you think it reflects that is valued by MBA admissions and ask if it would be acceptable to obtain a letter of recommendation from a board member with whom you have worked closely as a volunteer for X years on behalf of this organization. Assure them also that your other rec will be from your job.

Keep it short and to the point and then see what they say.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog