Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 09:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

95% (02:28) correct 5% (00:12) wrong based on 124 sessions
Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in other sports, exhibit different strengths such as serving with speed and accuracy, performing with endurance and run swiftly even late in a match, and defending against tricky drop shots and lobs."

A)performing with endurance and run
B)performing with endurance and running
C)performing with endurance running
D)to perform with endurance and to run
E)to perform with endurance and run

Can you please explain why B is the right answer. I am confused with 2 "and's". Can you give a simple example for better understanding.

If suppose there was "performing with endurance and agility,and defending........." then it is right because endurance and agility are part of a separate list.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 03 Jul 2013, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, renamed the topic.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 11:31
My take is B.

Below is my reasoning

1) "Such As" is used to list examples.
2) Examples have to be parallel

3) serving with speed and accuracy - 1 element
"performing with endurance and running swiftly even late in a match" - 2nd element - you perform with endurance + with running swiftly
and "defending against tricky drop shots and lobs" - 3rd element

All 3 elements are parallel

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 12:34
IMO B

The meaning of the sentence would help you sort out the confusion among the answer choices.

Professionals exhibit different strengths such as...<list>
a) serving with speed and accuracy
b) performing with endurance and running swiftly
c) defending against tricky drop shots and lobs

Also see the part which is not underlined in the question "and defending against tricky drop shots and lobs", this gives a clue that the list ends with this third element and so the middle element should follow the same pattern as the first and the second.

Hope it helps.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [2] , given: 165

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sriram28 wrote:
Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in other sports, exhibit different strengths such as serving with speed and accuracy, performing with endurance and run swiftly even late in a match, and defending against tricky drop shots and lobs."

Can you please explain why B is the right answer. I am confused with 2 "and's". Can you give a simple example for better understanding.

If suppose there was "performing with endurance and agility,and defending........." then it is right because endurance and agility are part of a separate list.

Responding to a pm:

The answer is not (C) because 'performing with endurance' and 'running swiftly' are two separate constructs and they need to be separated in some way. They cannot be allowed to run on each other. Read this:
Professional tennis players exhibit different strengths such as performing with endurance running swiftly even late in a match.

This does not make sense. If you say that running swiftly shows endurance, you still need to include 'depicted by' or something similar.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 02:14
it must be B; according to parallelism rule.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Sriram28 wrote:

Hi Sriram28,

Even I was a bit confused earlier before I went through the question number 2 from verbal review OG - this thread some-bat-caves-like-honeybee-hives-have-residents-that-87460.html

Do check the video by eGMAT that provides explanation through usage of a video. The direct link for the video is http://vimeo.com/32296672
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 00:08
Sriram28 wrote:

running has to match the sentence form with serving so the sentence attaches this clause in logic to the list from such as where it is enumerated.

Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in other sports, exhibit different strengths such as
serving with speed and accuracy
performing with endurance and run swiftly even late in a match
defending against tricky shots
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 07:54
Thanks a lot for all your replies. Yes you are right it is similar to Verbal 2nd Question.

Thanks,
Sriram.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 10:40
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sriram28 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

The answer is not (C) because 'performing with endurance' and 'running swiftly' are two separate constructs and they need to be separated in some way. They cannot be allowed to run on each other. Read this:
Professional tennis players exhibit different strengths such as performing with endurance running swiftly even late in a match.

This does not make sense. If you say that running swiftly shows endurance, you still need to include 'depicted by' or something similar.

i was stuck between A and B, wyhy running and not run?

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 95

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 10:55
Sriram28 wrote:

Serving...Performing...Running...Defending | |

I do not beg for kudos.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 10:57
Expert's post
MzJavert wrote:
Sriram28 wrote:

I am not sure if you have got the ll-ism correct, i might be mistaken as well

Regards,

S

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 11:10
Gian wrote:
IMO B

The meaning of the sentence would help you sort out the confusion among the answer choices.

Professionals exhibit different strengths such as...<list>
a) serving with speed and accuracy
b) performing with endurance and running swiftly
c) defending against tricky drop shots and lobs

Also see the part which is not underlined in the question "and defending against tricky drop shots and lobs", this gives a clue that the list ends with this third element and so the middle element should follow the same pattern as the first and the second.

Hope it helps.

Adding some more details to my above post:

Choice B - Parallelism among below three phrases:
a) serving with speed and accuracy -> this is a phrase (note serving is not a verb)
b) performing with endurance and running swiftly -> this has to be a phrase (performing and running are again not verbs)
c) defending against tricky drop shots and lobs -> this is again a phrase (defending is not verb)

If you say choice "A" -> performing <OK> with endurance and run <NOT OK> swiftly -----> Here run is a verb

We are maintaining parallelism among three phrases, but Choice A introduces verb run to distort meaning.

Hope it helps.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 11:13
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
MzJavert wrote:
Sriram28 wrote:

I am not sure if you have got the ll-ism correct, i might be mistaken as well

correct parallelism :
SERVING with A and B, PERFORMING with C and D,and DEFENDING against E and F.

RUNNING is not from the parallel list.
all A/B/C/D/E/F==>they all are nouns/gerunds
now if you put RUN instead of RUNNING as in option A
A)performing with endurance and run===>Here ENDURANCE ==>noun.....RUN:==>VERB==>hence not parallel.
that is why RUNNING is required.

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 11:33
Expert's post
@ senior manager, thanks for confirming the ll structure. Can we actually parallel nouns and gerunds? somewhere i read it can't be....

Regards,

S

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 11:38
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
@ senior manager, thanks for confirming the ll structure. Can we actually parallel nouns and gerunds? somewhere i read it can't be....

yes . you can make gerunds and nouns parallel.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2014, 09:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Professional tennis players, similar to professionals in oth   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2014, 09:00