Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Professor A: We must make a strong moral statement against

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Professor A: We must make a strong moral statement against [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 11:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:10) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Professor A: We must make a strong moral statement against Country Xs policies. Only total divestmentthe sale of all stock in companies that have factories or business offices in Xcan do this. Therefore, the university should divest totally.
Professor B: Our aim should be to encourage X to change its policies. Partial divestment is the best way to achieve this aim. Therefore, the university should sell its stock only in companies that either sell goods to Xs government, or do the majority of their business in X, or treat their workers in X unfairly.

Q. Which of the following, if true, would be evidence that the university would not be harmed economically if it followed Professor As recommendation.

A. Very few of the companies in which the university owns stocks sell goods to Xs government.

B. Most companies that have factories or business offices in X and in which the university owns stock actually do little of their business in X.

C. Some companies that have factories or business offices in X and in which the university owns stock have instituted fair treatment policies for their workers in X at very little additional cost to the companies.

D. The expected financial return to the university from stocks that the university could own under a policy of total divestment is approximately the same as the expected financial return from the same as the expected financial.

E. If the university sold large blocks of stock under a policy of total divestment, the prices of the stocks of the companies whose stocks were sold would probably decrease somewhat.

Please ans with explanation!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Professor [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 18:45
Must be D:

A. Very few of the companies in which the university owns stocks sell goods to Xs government.
Doesn't say wheter the university will lose anything after selling stock.

B. Most companies that have factories or business offices in X and in which the university owns stock actually do little of their business in X.
Same as above

C. Some companies that have factories or business offices in X and in which the university owns stock have instituted fair treatment policies for their workers in X at very little additional cost to the companies.
Out of A's scope

D. The expected financial return to the university from stocks that the university could own under a policy of total divestment is approximately the same as the expected financial return from the same as the expected financial.

E. If the university sold large blocks of stock under a policy of total divestment, the prices of the stocks of the companies whose stocks were sold would probably decrease somewhat.
And thus, will lose some money.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Professor [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 18:45
rao_1857 wrote:
Professor A: We must make a strong moral statement against Country Xs policies. Only total divestmentthe sale of all stock in companies that have factories or business offices in Xcan do this. Therefore, the university should divest totally.
Professor B: Our aim should be to encourage X to change its policies. Partial divestment is the best way to achieve this aim. Therefore, the university should sell its stock only in companies that either sell goods to Xs government, or do the majority of their business in X, or treat their workers in X unfairly.

Q. Which of the following, if true, would be evidence that the university would not be harmed economically if it followed Professor As recommendation.

A. Very few of the companies in which the university owns stocks sell goods to Xs government. -> this actually leads to financial problem to university since its selling the shares and end result is not met since few companies sell goods

B. Most companies that have factories or business offices in X and in which the university owns stock actually do little of their business in X. -> same as above

C. Some companies that have factories or business offices in X and in which the university owns stock have instituted fair treatment policies for their workers in X at very little additional cost to the companies. -> divestment is not necessary and moreover here divesting leads to loss shares by university

D. The expected financial return to the university from stocks that the university could own under a policy of total divestment is approximately the same as the expected financial return from the same as the expected financial. => this holds good since if at all totally divested they get the same financial returns IMO

E. If the university sold large blocks of stock under a policy of total divestment, the prices of the stocks of the companies whose stocks were sold would probably decrease somewhat. -> if stocks decrease again university's rest of the stocks are in loss

Please ans with explanation!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR - Professor [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
rao_1857 wrote:

Is there some typo? Although, I chose D, but wanted to be sure that there is no invisible trap.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Professor [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 05:31
same here ,wanted to know if D is a typo

(D) meant to say -->sale of stocks=financial return, thus no harm?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Re: CR - Professor [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 18:38
IMO D

Never give up,,,

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Professor [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 17:36
D for me.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Professor A: We must make a strong moral statement against [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 06:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Professor A: We must make a strong moral statement against   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 06:42