Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Professor Chan: The literature department s undergraduate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Professor Chan: The literature department s undergraduate [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

43% (02:24) correct 57% (02:01) wrong based on 236 sessions
Professor Chan: The literature department’s undergraduate courses should cover only true literary works, and not such frivolous material as advertisements.
Professor Wigmore: Advertisements might or might not be true literary works but they do have a powerfully detrimental effect on society—largely because people cannot discern their real messages. The literature department’s courses give students the critical skills to analyze and understand texts. Therefore, it is the literature department’s responsibility to include the study of advertisements in its undergraduate courses.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Professor Wigmore’s argument depends?
(A) Texts that are true literary works never have a detrimental effect on society.
(B) Courses offered by the literature department cannot include both true literary works and material such as advertisement.
(C) Students who take courses in the literature department do not get from those courses other skills besides those needed to analyze and understand texts.
(D) Forms of advertising that convey their message entirely through visual images do not have a detrimental effect on society.
(E) The literature department’s responsibility is not limited to teaching students how to analyze true literary works.

OA after some discussion.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 10:04
e
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 10:22
ajaysonu wrote:
e

what are u bringing to the table?
Please, provide explanation.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 10:30
I looked this one up and it is quite tricky. Went with C.

This is from the 1000 series? How representative is that material to the real GMAT questions?

I picked an assumption that is already stated, and I knew this, but couldn't rationalize another answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 10:41
I went with E....but couldnt resist looking this one up and I am not happy with the OA
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 10:46
anish319 wrote:
I went with E....but couldnt resist looking this one up and I am not happy with the OA

me neither.

USCTrojan2006: it is actually a LSAT question, so it's not representative of GMAT level at all.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 11:19
I think the answer is A.

The argument is based on the fact that students are given the skills to analyze and understand texts. Because ads have a detrimental effect if is the moral obligation (responsibility) of the department to also understand advertisements.

B) is clearly wrong as he is just including ads not saying one or the other

C) does not really matter in this case. Whether or not they learn other skills is irrelevant to learning skills to decipher ads messages.

D) Never does the passage say that the study of ads is just written ads. It may include visual ads as well

E) This is a hardest one to eliminate and this was actually the first answer I was drawn to. The problem I saw with the answer is that he does state that ads may or may not be literary works in his first sentence. Clearly that means in his mind some ads are literary works. Maybe those are the only ads he believes in teaching.

A) I believe this is correct because he infers that people cant decipher detrimental messages. If true literary texts carried detrimental messages the students would gain the ability to decipher the messages in all works, including ads. That fact that he states that its a responsibility to teach ads means infers that students are not receiving the knowledge to decipher detrimental messages by using "true" literary works in class.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.73
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 9

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
went with E only because other options are not correct.

Good Luck!

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMA (PGPX), IIMB (EMBA) & IIMC..

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 16:33
noboru wrote:
Professor Chan: The literature department’s undergraduate courses should cover only true literary works, and not such frivolous material as advertisements.
Professor Wigmore: Advertisements might or might not be true literary works but they do have a powerfully detrimental effect on society—largely because people cannot discern their real messages. The literature department’s courses give students the critical skills to analyze and understand texts. Therefore, it is the literature department’s responsibility to include the study of advertisements in its undergraduate courses.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Professor Wigmore’s argument depends?
(A) Texts that are true literary works never have a detrimental effect on society.
(B) Courses offered by the literature department cannot include both true literary works and material such as advertisement.
(C) Students who take courses in the literature department do not get from those courses other skills besides those needed to analyze and understand texts.
(D) Forms of advertising that convey their message entirely through visual images do not have a detrimental effect on society.
(E) The literature department’s responsibility is not limited to teaching students how to analyze true literary works.

OA after some discussion.

I chose C.
Because literature dept students current skills are not sufficient to study the ads. - Assumption.

E - talks abt responsibility and I thought is different from assumption....

not sure though...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 02:52
Answer:- A
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
I think the answer is D...
According to me its a "Defender" Assumption . Those who have read powerscore CR bible may understand what "Defender" assumption means . I think the question is along similar lines.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 08:50
I go with E because the literature dept's responsibility is not limited to just teach true works, it is also to help evaluate work that can have a detrimental effect on society.

I can't see the other popular answer A - as correct because Proff. Wigmore does not assume that true literature works do not have a detrimental effect on society when he himself is saying the ads may or may not be a true literary work.

C need not be assumed. Wigmore is only concerned with analyzing and critically thinking about true or untrue literary work that has a detrimental effect on society.

I am sticking with E on this. Please provide OA.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
conclusion::it is the literature department’s responsibility to include the study of advertisements in its undergraduate courses.
k..use assumption negation technique::
a)Texts that are true literary works have a detrimental effect on society- k does not hit the conclusion
b)Courses offered by the literature department can include both true literary works and material such as advertisement- this strengthens the conclusion - move on
c)Students who take courses in the literature department do get from those courses other skills besides those needed to analyze and understand texts-does not hit the conclsion
d)Forms of advertising that convey their message entirely through visual images do have a detrimental effect on society-advertising that convey blah blah have a neagative effect again does not hit the agrument
e)The literature department’s responsibility is limited to teaching students how to analyze true literary works-if this is the case then it exempts the lit deptt from including advertisement this weakens the conclusion and hence should be the ans ..
so i pick option E

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 11:10
I go with E as well

Go Blue!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 10:43
So...summing up.- We have As, Cs, Ds, and Es...

Any more takers?? A clue: OA is none of the above...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 06:52
By the principle of negation --> D

By negating 'D" - The literature department’s courses [highlight]need not[/highlight] enable students to analyze and understand any text that could have a harmful effect on society

The above statement weakens the conclusion that the department should include the study of advertisements.

Raptor

Raptor

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 23:36
what is the OA? B?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 11

Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:

(A) Texts that are true literary works never have a detrimental effect on society -- As said here "Advertisements might or might not be true literary works but they do have a powerfully detrimental effect on society" - Ads generally have a detrimental effect. Hence, Wrong !
(B) Courses offered by the literature department cannot include both true literary works and material such as advertisement. -- Is opposite to the claim in the stimulus. Hence Wrong.
(C) Students who take courses in the literature department do not get from those courses other skills besides those needed to analyze and understand texts. -- Out of Scope !
(D) Forms of advertising that convey their message entirely through visual images do not have a detrimental effect on society. -- Out of Scope !
-- Correct and is spot on with the conclusion.

IMO E for the above reasons .

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ass ... t1343.html

Consider a kudo if you liked my explanation :wink:

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 17:22
The answer must be E, it's the only one whose negation makes the argument fall apart.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Professor Wigmore [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 18:23
E seems the answer... but why cant C be the answer????
Little confused here...
Re: Professor Wigmore   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2011, 18:23