Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [24]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618923 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: Professor Jones has claimed that chemical compound chlorocetin contain [#permalink]
It should be C....

I dont see how others can be correct?

the first is evidence that is used in an argument the author disagrees with...second statement is supportin the authors argument...

Please Post OA...soon...

thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: Professor Jones has claimed that chemical compound chlorocetin contain [#permalink]
C is the best answer.

A and B are wrong because the author does not challenge the fact that “certain vital biological processes, such as photosynthesis, are slower in these areas than is usual for the inspected speciesâ€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am still not convinced with C....B looks better

Can anyone explain why it is not B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
gmat2me2 wrote:

B is bad for one simple reason: the role of the first bold-faced portion is indicated wrongly. "certain vital biological processes...are slower in these areas than is usual for the inspected species" is not something the author critiques; in fact, he AGREES with this. He critiques the professor's conclusion (his logic), not the fact that there was a correlation between the amount of the chemical and the speed of the bio processes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
ChallengeMaker wrote:
gmat2me2 wrote:

B is bad for one simple reason: the role of the first bold-faced portion is indicated wrongly. "certain vital biological processes...are slower in these areas than is usual for the inspected species" is not something the author critiques; in fact, he AGREES with this. He critiques the professor's conclusion (his logic), not the fact that there was a correlation between the amount of the chemical and the speed of the bio processes

I would rather agree with B on the first BF rather than C which says that the author disputes the first BF, the author is definitely not disputing the first BF, so on this basis alone C should be eliminated.
Moreover, you yourself agree that the author AGREES with the first BF, don't you think 'C' is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rthothad wrote:
ChallengeMaker wrote:
gmat2me2 wrote:

I would rather agree with B on the first BF rather than C which says that the author disputes the first BF, the author is definitely not disputing the first BF, so on this basis alone C should be eliminated.
Moreover, you yourself agree that the author AGREES with the first BF, don't you think 'C' is wrong.

You are not careful. C does not say that the author disputes the first BF it says that first BF is an EVIDENCE IN THE ARGUMENT the author disputes. The evidence is first BF, the argument is how professor interpretes his findings. In his argument, professor uses first BF as EVIDENCE just as C says
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ChallengeMaker wrote:
You are not careful. C does not say that the author disputes the first BF it says that first BF is an EVIDENCE IN THE ARGUMENT the author disputes. The evidence is first BF, the argument is how professor interpretes his findings. In his argument, professor uses first BF as EVIDENCE just as C says

May be I am missing something rather fundamental, but I interpret the first part of C "the first is an evidence in the argument the author disputes " to mean that the first BF is an evidence in the argument which the author disputes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
ChallengeMaker wrote:
B is bad for one simple reason: the role of the first bold-faced portion is indicated wrongly. "certain vital biological processes...are slower in these areas than is usual for the inspected species" is not something the author critiques

Why not.

The author does not say a thing about "the chemical being harmful or not" , all that he says is that he is not happy with the conclusion derived from a premise.In effect he is just critiquing the "logical deduction".

If in fact he made a stmt like "therefore the chem is not harmful" they we might conclude that he critiqued the biologist's claim.

NOTE : he says the conclusion is unwarranted ( NOT right or wrong).For all that we know the author might not be a biologist, but a plain logician hired to evaluate the logical validity of a claim !

BTW - what is the author's position here as stated in C ( I think he just points a flaw on the biologists claim without having a position)

ChallengeMaker what is your opinion on this ?

HMTG.
PS : had picked B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
rthothad:
As you mentioned, the first part of C is : "the first is an evidence in the argument the author disputes "

The argument that the author disputes is ---> chlorocetin is harmful (as suggested by Prof. Jones)
The evidence for this is ---> slower photosynthesis in the effected areas. (bolded part)

As ChallengeMaker mentioned, B is wrong because the author does not disagree with the first bold face. He only disagrees that cholorcetin is the reason for slower photosynthesis.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
HowManyToGo wrote:
ChallengeMaker wrote:
B is bad for one simple reason: the role of the first bold-faced portion is indicated wrongly. "certain vital biological processes...are slower in these areas than is usual for the inspected species" is not something the author critiques

Why not.

The author does not say a thing about "the chemical being harmful or not" , all that he says is that he is not happy with the conclusion derived from a premise.In effect he is just critiquing the "logical deduction".

If in fact he made a stmt like "therefore the chem is not harmful" they we might conclude that he critiqued the biologist's claim.

NOTE : he says the conclusion is unwarranted ( NOT right or wrong).For all that we know the author might not be a biologist, but a plain logician hired to evaluate the logical validity of a claim !

BTW - what is the author's position here as stated in C ( I think he just points a flaw on the biologists claim without having a position)

HMTG.

B is wrong because first BF contains no argument with which the author would take issue. The author says nothing about whether he disagrees with the fact that "certain bio processes are slow" but he clearly disputes the professor's argument which is built on evidence in BF1

Note that C says that the author disputes the professor's argument (not the conclusion). This wording describes the situation pretty accurately because the author indeed disputes the arguemnt i.e. how it is constructed. He does not like the logic behind the argument so we can say that he disputes the argument.

Finally, the author's main point in this passage is to prove that the professor's claim is unwarranted. This is the author's position; it can be put into such words: "it is premature to conclude that chlorocetin is a dangerous chemical affecting natural world". Pretty nice and clear position, don't you agree?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
forumsmba wrote:
rthothad:
As you mentioned, the first part of C is : "the first is an evidence in the argument the author disputes "

The argument that the author disputes is ---> chlorocetin is harmful (as suggested by Prof. Jones)
The evidence for this is ---> slower photosynthesis in the effected areas. (bolded part)

As ChallengeMaker mentioned, B is wrong because the author does not disagree with the first bold face. He only disagrees that cholorcetin is the reason for slower photosynthesis.

When one reads the first part of C, the way 'the argument' is worded makes one refer to the entire passage not to 'chlorocetin is harmful' and can you tell me what made you think that 'the argument' is indeed 'chlorocetin is harmful'. Infact, the argument is the last few words after the second BF - "correlation that might not reflect any causal relationship between the factors"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
ChallengeMaker wrote:
HowManyToGo wrote:
ChallengeMaker wrote:

Why not.

HMTG.

B is wrong because first BF contains no argument with which the author would take issue. The author says nothing about whether he disagrees with the fact that "certain bio processes are slow" but he clearly disputes the professor's argument which is built on evidence in BF1

Note that C says that the author disputes the professor's argument (not the conclusion). This wording describes the situation pretty accurately because the author indeed disputes the arguemnt i.e. how it is constructed. He does not like the logic behind the argument so we can say that he disputes the argument.

Finally, the author's main point in this passage is to prove that the professor's claim is unwarranted. This is the author's position; it can be put into such words: "it is premature to conclude that chlorocetin is a dangerous chemical affecting natural world". Pretty nice and clear position, don't you agree?

"correlation that ***might*** not reflect any causal relationship between the factors"

The author does not prove anything here, he just bring in an argument which undermines the claim of the biologist(he does NOT REFUTE the claim) . It might be proven later that the plants slow processes were in fact due to the chemical , which was just a possibility when the biologist's claim was out.

What the author says is that the correlation **might not ** reflect causal relatioship.The way I read it "It is just a possiblity that the data might not point to a causal relationship"- He is not refuting anything here, just probably asking for some loose ends to be tied up.

Yes ! you are right when you say that BF1 has no argument which the author critiques.

Though POE might suggest C ( C still has to be valid)

HMTG.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
rthothad:

I didn't think of the entire passage as an 'argument'. I read it as:

The argument that the author disputes: chlorocetin is harmful (as believed by Prof. Jones)
The author's position (argument): No proof that chlorocetin is harmful

I read first part of C as: 'the first is an evidence in the argument the author disputes

-fm
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
C it is for me quite clearly.

Jones presents the first BF as evidence of an argument that the author disputes.

Second BF supports the author's position that Jones' argument is not provable.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts