Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 11:42
Hi,

Just consider a person like me with proficiency in English only and another person with proficiency in English, French & Chinese. Now which candidate will have more chances of getting admission in his/her desired school provide both the candidates have equal scores in other fields.

So should I (or the persons like me from Asia) start learning some other int language to make my MBA application stronger??

What do you say guys?? your feedback is awaited!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 14:21
Hussain15 wrote:
Hi,

Just consider a person like me with proficiency in English only and another person with proficiency in English, French & Chinese. Now which candidate will have more chances of getting admission in his/her desired school provide both the candidates have equal scores in other fields.

So should I (or the persons like me from Asia) start learning some other int language to make my MBA application stronger??

If you have the time, why wouldn't you want to learn another language just for the sake of knowing another language? I mean forget about doing it because it may increase your chances of getting into B school. Do it because you have a genuine passion for international business. Do it because your language skills, coupled with your slick MBA from LBS will let you be successful in whatever it is you want to do.

BTW, just to appease my own curiosity, how is it that you are in Pakistan (or so says your profile) and only speak english?
Retired Moderator

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 15:08
Thanks for your suggestion. Now I will definitely go for a language learning course. But what is ur suggestion regarding the new language- French, Italian, Chinese???

Now when I say I only speak english, I mean the only Int language other than my native one(Urdu), obviously I speak a # of local languages but other than local, only the English

Posted from my mobile device Image

[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 15:38
Hussain15 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Now I will definitely go for a language learning course. But what is ur suggestion regarding the new language- French, Italian, Chinese???

Now when I say I only speak english, I mean the only Int language other than my native one(Urdu), obviously I speak a # of local languages but other than local, only the English

They say if you know english/manadrin/spanish/hindi(similar to urdu in pakistan) then you have conquered more than 1/2 of the worlds population.

which language you want to choose depends on the school, if its LBS I would prefer a european language as the job prospects in europe would be better, so my choice would be French/German/spanish/italian.
Retired Moderator

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 20:48
Thanks for the suggestion!

I am making my mind for French, hopefully this will be a good option :)

I Can, I Will

Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 08:33
Personally, I wouldn't study another language just to build a stronger business school app. I would study another language because it aligns with my goals (i.e. learning Chinese because I want to work in China) and I have a genuine interest in the culture and its language(s) and customs. Also, learning a new language is a significant investment of time and effort. If I were you, I'd really evaluate your goals and interests in order to decide what language you want to study rather than relying on a forum to determine that for you. Life is about more than just putting together the perfect biz school app. Do the things that truly interest you and will leave you fulfilled.

Hussain15 wrote:
Hi,

Retired Moderator

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 08:53
@blue: I partly agree with your views. Life has definitely greater charms than B.School & its application procedures but bro this forum is all meant for such discussions :)

Ur point is valid that I should have an interest in French(say) regardless of my MBA application.

Thanks for ur post, your comment regarding whether its a plus point or not is still awaited though!! :)

I Can, I Will

Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 09:22
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're still waiting for me to tell you whether it's a plus or not, you have failed to grasp the point of my post.

Hussain15 wrote:
@blue: I partly agree with your views. Life has definitely greater charms than B.School & its application procedures but bro this forum is all meant for such discussions :)

Ur point is valid that I should have an interest in French(say) regardless of my MBA application.

Thanks for ur post, your comment regarding whether its a plus point or not is still awaited though!! :)

Retired Moderator

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 11:39
swbluedevil wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're still waiting for me to tell you whether it's a plus or not, you have failed to grasp the point of my post.

Hussain15 wrote:

No way boss!! I didn't take it wrongly!! Thanks a lot for your comments, you are absolutely right, I should see the picture from the other side as well. and well I am trying to grasp your point :)

I Can, I Will

Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point???   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2009, 11:39