Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: Proficiency in a number of int languages: A + point??? [#permalink]
Hussain15 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Now I will definitely go for a language learning course. But what is ur suggestion regarding the new language- French, Italian, Chinese???

Now when I say I only speak english, I mean the only Int language other than my native one(Urdu), obviously I speak a # of local languages but other than local, only the English

Posted from my mobile device

They say if you know english/manadrin/spanish/hindi(similar to urdu in pakistan) then you have conquered more than 1/2 of the worlds population.

which language you want to choose depends on the school, if its LBS I would prefer a european language as the job prospects in europe would be better, so my choice would be French/German/spanish/italian.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

I am making my mind for French, hopefully this will be a good option :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Personally, I wouldn't study another language just to build a stronger business school app. I would study another language because it aligns with my goals (i.e. learning Chinese because I want to work in China) and I have a genuine interest in the culture and its language(s) and customs. Also, learning a new language is a significant investment of time and effort. If I were you, I'd really evaluate your goals and interests in order to decide what language you want to study rather than relying on a forum to determine that for you. Life is about more than just putting together the perfect biz school app. Do the things that truly interest you and will leave you fulfilled.

Hussain15 wrote:
Hi,

Just consider a person like me with proficiency in English only and another person with proficiency in English, French & Chinese. Now which candidate will have more chances of getting admission in his/her desired school provide both the candidates have equal scores in other fields.

So should I (or the persons like me from Asia) start learning some other int language to make my MBA application stronger??

What do you say guys?? your feedback is awaited!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
@blue: I partly agree with your views. Life has definitely greater charms than B.School & its application procedures but bro this forum is all meant for such discussions :)

Ur point is valid that I should have an interest in French(say) regardless of my MBA application.

Thanks for ur post, your comment regarding whether its a plus point or not is still awaited though!! :)

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're still waiting for me to tell you whether it's a plus or not, you have failed to grasp the point of my post.

Hussain15 wrote:
@blue: I partly agree with your views. Life has definitely greater charms than B.School & its application procedures but bro this forum is all meant for such discussions :)

Ur point is valid that I should have an interest in French(say) regardless of my MBA application.

Thanks for ur post, your comment regarding whether its a plus point or not is still awaited though!! :)

Retired Moderator
Send PM
swbluedevil wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're still waiting for me to tell you whether it's a plus or not, you have failed to grasp the point of my post.

Hussain15 wrote:

No way boss!! I didn't take it wrongly!! Thanks a lot for your comments, you are absolutely right, I should see the picture from the other side as well. and well I am trying to grasp your point :)
GMAT Club Bot