Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profiile Evaluation: 8-year Software Engineer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profiile Evaluation: 8-year Software Engineer [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 18:34
Detail Removed.

Last edited by reddevildan on 07 Jan 2013, 07:54, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profiile Evaluation: 8-year Software Engineer [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 06:45
Expert's post
I think you are aiming a little high with your profile. There is an almost immeasurable cadre of applicants from Asia who worked in IT or technology to compete with and the average GMAT in this pool is very high (720+). You have to ask yourself what sets you apart. Working in the US is a good differentiator but likely not enough especially if you are perceived as a workaholic. B-schools want good leaders, so you will have to demonstrate that you are not only a leader at work, but also a leader in your community. You need to put some schools in the mix that fall into the lower first tier as well to increase your odds of admssion. Another option would be executive MBA if you have good work leadership. Executive programs are targeted for leaders with 8 to 15 years experience and the admissions standards are usually more forgiving. You could definitely target your list for exec programs (for the schools that offer them of course).

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profiile Evaluation: 8-year Software Engineer [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 04:49
I am looking for a career change, so I think full time MBA is better for me. If I can take GMAT agian and score over 720, are those schools still a stretch goals?

bryantmichaels wrote:
I think you are aiming a little high with your profile. There is an almost immeasurable cadre of applicants from Asia who worked in IT or technology to compete with and the average GMAT in this pool is very high (720+). You have to ask yourself what sets you apart. Working in the US is a good differentiator but likely not enough especially if you are perceived as a workaholic. B-schools want good leaders, so you will have to demonstrate that you are not only a leader at work, but also a leader in your community. You need to put some schools in the mix that fall into the lower first tier as well to increase your odds of admssion. Another option would be executive MBA if you have good work leadership. Executive programs are targeted for leaders with 8 to 15 years experience and the admissions standards are usually more forgiving. You could definitely target your list for exec programs (for the schools that offer them of course).
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profiile Evaluation: 8-year Software Engineer [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 10:11
Expert's post
Those schools are always a stretch for anyone--just look at their admission percentages. You just happen to also fall into a large applicant pool: Asian ethnicity with Technology background. Another problem with your profile is your post MBA goal is Technology startup. You probably know that most entrepreneurs don't have MBAs, they just get out there and make things happen, figuring out what they need to along the way to survive and succeed. So, in short, if you are going to try to convince the committees that you have the "right stuff" to become a Tech entrepreneur, they will likely wonder why you have not made that happen on your own already. You need to work on your story and the ability to convince someone you have entrepereneur potential.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews