Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profil Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 17:38
Demographics
27/M/United States

Undergraduate Education
University of St. Thomas – St. Paul, MN
Bachelors of Arts – Financial Management
3.45 GPA Overall
Vice-President of Financial Management Association & Investment Banking Association
I owned and managed a small business to help finance my undergraduate education.
CFA Level II Candidate
Work Experience
5 Years
1.5 Years at a Multi-Strategy Hedge Fund – Portfolio Finance & Collateral Management
2.5 Years at a small Investment Management Company – Equity Investment Analysis & Equity Trading
1.0 Year at an Investment Management Company – Equity Trading

GMAT
590 (Q35) (V36)
I plan on re-taking the GMAT this summer. My first actual test was lower than the practice scores I had been receiving. I hope to score above 640. I feel that this is the biggest weakness in my profile.

Post MBA Career
Investment Management – Equity Research & Portfolio Management
Investment Banking – Middle Market Focus

Target Schools
University of Minnesota – Carlson School of Business (Full Time)
University of Wisconsin – Madison (Applied Securities Analysis Program) (Full Time)
Indiana University – Kelley School (Full Time)
University of Iowa – Tippie (Full Time)
University of Chicago – Booth School (Part Time)

Is my current GMAT the weakest part of my application? Do you believe I would have a legitimate chance at the schools listed above given my current profile and GMAT score? Am I targeting the right schools, would I have a chance at higher-ranked schools? Other than boosting my GMAT what else can I do to boost my chances at the schools listed above?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 20:11
I don't think you'd get into University of Iowa Tippie with a 590, but with a 640 I think you definitely have a strong profile for admission there. They're very concerned about fit,so make sure its in line with what you are looking for culture wise.

I'll be attending in the fall, let me know if there are any questions I can help you with about the school!

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 14:17
Thanks - I will let you know whether I have any questions about Tippie.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 04:48
Expert's post
Your self analysis is pretty spot on. Your big glaring weak point is your GMAT, and I would suggest putting ALL of your extra energies into preparing for the exam. Are you aiming too high or low? Only with a GMAT score can we tell that. But I'm sure, given that you work in equity, that you should be able to crack a 650 at least... so why not jump back at us with your next score, and we can reevaluate which schools might be good for you?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 15:36
I recently scored 640(Q42) (V37) on the GMAT. This puts me right at the bottom of the middle 80% range at my target schools. I did score 700 on my last practice CAT, and was hoping to score at least 660. I do think I will do better if I take the test again. I was fairly nervous and rushed during the quantitative section. Do you think my time would be better spent studying and taking the GMAT again or focusing on the essays? I have put some thought into my essays, but have not started them. I want to apply in R1, which is early November for my schools.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 05:10
Expert's post
Tough call here. It depends on you, and how important it is absolutely that you apply next year. My temptation would be to tell you to retake the GMAT, and if you get that score you need, apply R2, and if you don't maybe hold off one year. I mean if you are testing 700, it means you can get 700, which translates into much better chances for much better schools, which in the long-term is usually worth it.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 14:08
I am pretty adamant on starting school next fall. I feel that I am getting too old to wait another year, and am looking forward to starting a new challenge. I am within the 80% GMAT range at my top two schools, and believe I have above average work experience and an inline GPA. How would you rate my chances? Do you feel that this overall applicant pool across all schools will be any different than previous years? I have read that admissions counselors are nervous about not having an as strong applicant pool.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profil Evaluation [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 00:47
Expert's post
In that case, I would say go for it. Like you pointed out, you are within range at all the schools on your list, so it's time to go. And of course when building your strategy your personal goals and your life count for a lot. I think that with a strong application, if you apply to all the schools on your list, you can come away with an Admit... but those essays will be KEY to making you stand out from the pack.

Best of luck to ya! And if you have anything else, you know where to find us.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com