Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile - a bit unusual 2 undergrad degrees

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile - a bit unusual 2 undergrad degrees [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 07:34
Hi all. Hopefully I can get a better idea on my chances of applying for next year :)

Basics:
European/Italian. Age: will be 27 when I apply and 28 when I join. Have moved to the UK (England) 2 years ago to study/work.

Education:
-2 bachelor's degrees - first one wasn't what I wanted (ended up with a low GPA) so I immediately started studying towards my 2nd one four years ago
-have 1 final year left on my 2nd degree - its in I.T. - atm have a high 1st class honors degree in a top15 uni GPA would be around 3.7 I guess? I am v confident I can keep this average going into my final year. I will therefore have 2 bachelor degrees when I apply, the most recent of which with a GPA around 3.7.

Extracurricular:
-played football (soccer) all my life until a serious injury prevented me from playing for a local club - captained my team for 5 years (14-19yrs old)
-also played volleyball for my school and captained the team
-took part in various student festivals at uni - dancing/choreographing/plays
-course representative in my 2nd degree for a small class

GMAT:
Haven't done the official one yet but various practice tests have constantly given me a score of 710-750

WE:
- Worked at hospital as a trainee physio during my 1st degree (few months)
- After my 1st degree I rented and started up a successful bar for 1.5 years while I studied evenings - started from scratch and the bar was v successful on weekends - it is still open till today, managed by someone else
- Worked for 1 year as a system engineer intern at Microsoft
- Worked for 3 months as a summer analyst at Goldman Sachs
- When I apply I will therefore have 1.5 years of entrepreneurial work and 1.5 years of work as physio trainee, and microsoft/goldman sachs tech internships

Why do I want an MBA
Basically I still want to work in I.T. - be it an IT company, or, preferably, the IT division of a financial company -> I would love to get into management and I believe my technical background will be v useful - I know that most of the management at Goldman Sachs tech in London have a technical background. The MBA would serve me as a stepping stone to give me all the background necessary to be able to manage successfully. I do not necessarily have to remain in an IT setting - but that would be ideal for me.

My question is -> since I kind of "wasted" 4 years getting my 1st degree that I dont really use (although I can get 4-5 good things I ve learnt from it on a personal and team setting).. I will be close to 28 when I graduate - should I work for another year or 2 or do I have a chance to get into a good MBA? I would only consider a top10 school MBA - thats just how I am, I'm ambitious and always go for the best :)

Any advice/feedback is much appreciated !

thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile - a bit unusual 2 undergrad degrees [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 16:04
any feedback / suggestions please?
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77400

CAT Tests
Re: Profile - a bit unusual 2 undergrad degrees [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 06:10
I think your main weakness is your work experience. Otherwise you have a very strong profile assuming you can score 710+. Schools seem to like European applicants, and being Italian is a definite plus. I would say put in another 2 years after you complete your degree and then apply but that would make you 30 at matriculation which can be pushing the ideal age for some top 10 schools, and will probably make it extremely difficult for you to have a chance at schools who are trending younger such as Harvard.

You definitely have a unique situation, but if I were in your shoes I would probably do another year of work experience and then apply. When applying make sure to hype up managerial experience since you will competing with the older age group that has had a lot of leadership experiences under their belt.
Re: Profile - a bit unusual 2 undergrad degrees   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2009, 06:10