Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile and Target Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 141

Profile and Target Score [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 11:27
Hi All,

I am a bit confused of my options and would be very grateful for any guidance.

Profile:
UGRAD: Mechanical Enhineering
UGRAD GPA: 8.81/10 (2nd rank in an Indian State University)
GMAT: Yet to take (Target: 740/750)

WE : 4 Years in $10 Billion IT Company
Area: A very common pool of Indian Software engineers.

Though my work experience includes Data warehousing or Business Intelligence practices in Banking and Financial Services, I would like to go for a career in Retail. I have managed a team of 15 for 2 years and my client list includes a top 2 US Bank and a regional US Bank.

Mostly I am interested in Marketing Strategies, Branding and Business Expansion in Emerging Markets or in short - Consumer Behavior.

Extra Curricular:
I have worked for 2-3 non-governmental-organizations for women empowerment, education for underprivileged children
and nothing much.

Interests:
Singing, reading books and writing (someday would want to be a writer too)

Brief Background:
Straight from the frame of poverty sicken India. Had no access to electricity till matriculation, then I moved to the near by city to pursue my dreams.

Confusion:
Whether to go for MBA or PhD.
Though I would personally want to go for PhD(for financial matters), I have below questions:
1. Is age is going to be a problem ?
2. I do not have any research experience, is that a negative ? How can I compensate ?
3. My interest Area includes Emerging Markets, should that be a problem for study in US/Europe(Developed Countries) ?
4. I have gone through NYU Sterns' Website and I like that school and faculty profiles. What are my chances ?
5. What other schools I can get in ? (Preferably top 30 - including Canada/Europe/Australia)
6. Shall I go for MBA ?

Any suggestions/ advice is highly appreciated.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile and Target Score [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 04:36
Hi Ahmed...Sounds like you have a lot on your mind and are at the beginning of the journey as it relates to whether you should try and obtain an MBA. Not knowing whether you want a PhD v. an MBA is a critical first decision that's needed even before people on this forum can offer you any advice. The programs are very different. A PhD positions you for success in the academic world, while an MBA helps in a professional world. Given your career goal of wanting to work in retail, I'd say an MBA would be better unless what you meant to write is that you want to "study retail." The major challenges you face are: distinguishing yourself from the many IT professionals with a similar background as you, convincing an admissions officer that you can move into a totally new career path, and getting the rest of the pieces of the application together, such as completion of GMAT and letters of recommendation.

Unless you can get these details organized, it will be difficult to get into a program like Stern. You might have the right credentials on paper, but a tighter focus is required for success.

Hope that's helpful,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 141

Re: Profile and Target Score [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 09:51
Thanks a lot James.
Certainly I need a solid analysis of my future and my career path.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Re: Profile and Target Score   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2012, 09:51