Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile application review (UAE based Non-resident Indian)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile application review (UAE based Non-resident Indian) [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 00:16
Hi Linda,

Firstly, thanks for taking your time to help out. Secondly, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly suggest a few business schools that fit my goals (entrepreneurship & accounting) with a decent chance of an admit, although I have listed some to which I plan to apply.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
Current and only employment: 1-year (since May 2012) at family-owned steel trading business (20 employees) and working to open up a steel wire rod manufacturing plant. By the time I begin MBA in Fall 2014, I will have completed 2 yrs.
Employment details:
Role: Business Technologist
Functions:
- Assisting in and supervising maintenance of accounting records of the company by the accountant.
- Assisting in and supervising implementation of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2008)
- Preparing financial reports as required by the management.
- Supervision of stock counts and generating subsequent reports for the management.
- Creation of an accounting system with new records, ledgers for the new manufacturing plant
- Creation of company websites and computing resources (managing all email accounts, IT equipment in the company)

2) Unofficial GMAT score: 700 (Q49-V35), essays and IR yet to be announced

3) College info:
The University of Iowa

GPA: 3.51 (Negative trend at first and a positive trend in last year. GPA movement: 3.92(1st sem) to 2.87(6th sem) to 3.61 (last sem)) - Negative trend at first due to taking up of many extracurricular activities - Positive trend later, despite the advanced coursework, because I had learnt to manage my time properly.
Major: Electrical Engineering (Bachelors of Science) - Minors: Computer Science, Business
Year of Graduation, 2012

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Current activities:
- Board member of a Toastmasters International club
Roles: Sergeant-At-Arms (2012-2013), Vice President Membership (2013-2014)
Frequent volunteer for social events at the Indian Social and Cultural Center
- Recently became active in swimming as a sport

College extra-curricular activities:
- 2 years of secretarial and event management board member at OASIS (International student support and cultural awareness group), and
- Secretary at Hawkeye Racquetball Culb

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
None. Although, I am undergoing preparation for the CMA exams

6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world.
All are 2-yr programs: Berkeley - Haas, Stanford, UV Darden, Babson, IIMA

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
Prefer to apply R1-R2 in mid-to-late 2013

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Start a business in the technology and/or environmental sectors (hopefully while in college). Also plan to keep on working the family business as well.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile application review (UAE based Non-resident Indian) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 22:15
Expert's post
psychout wrote:
Hi Linda,

Firstly, thanks for taking your time to help out. Secondly, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly suggest a few business schools that fit my goals (entrepreneurship & accounting) with a decent chance of an admit, although I have listed some to which I plan to apply.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
Current and only employment: 1-year (since May 2012) at family-owned steel trading business (20 employees) and working to open up a steel wire rod manufacturing plant. By the time I begin MBA in Fall 2014, I will have completed 2 yrs.
Employment details:
Role: Business Technologist
Functions:
- Assisting in and supervising maintenance of accounting records of the company by the accountant.
- Assisting in and supervising implementation of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2008)
- Preparing financial reports as required by the management.
- Supervision of stock counts and generating subsequent reports for the management.
- Creation of an accounting system with new records, ledgers for the new manufacturing plant
- Creation of company websites and computing resources (managing all email accounts, IT equipment in the company)

2) Unofficial GMAT score: 700 (Q49-V35), essays and IR yet to be announced

3) College info:
The University of Iowa

GPA: 3.51 (Negative trend at first and a positive trend in last year. GPA movement: 3.92(1st sem) to 2.87(6th sem) to 3.61 (last sem)) - Negative trend at first due to taking up of many extracurricular activities - Positive trend later, despite the advanced coursework, because I had learnt to manage my time properly.
Major: Electrical Engineering (Bachelors of Science) - Minors: Computer Science, Business
Year of Graduation, 2012

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Current activities:
- Board member of a Toastmasters International club
Roles: Sergeant-At-Arms (2012-2013), Vice President Membership (2013-2014)
Frequent volunteer for social events at the Indian Social and Cultural Center
- Recently became active in swimming as a sport

College extra-curricular activities:
- 2 years of secretarial and event management board member at OASIS (International student support and cultural awareness group), and
- Secretary at Hawkeye Racquetball Culb

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
None. Although, I am undergoing preparation for the CMA exams

6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world.
All are 2-yr programs: Berkeley - Haas, Stanford, UV Darden, Babson, IIMA

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
Prefer to apply R1-R2 in mid-to-late 2013

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Start a business in the technology and/or environmental sectors (hopefully while in college). Also plan to keep on working the family business as well.

My first recommendation would be for you to work for an additional year. That would improve your chances of acceptance. But if you don't want to wait, consider CMU Tepper, Rochester Simon, Darden, Babson, UCLA, and USC.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile application review (UAE based Non-resident Indian) [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 22:05
yes its good to work one more year...