Firstly, thanks for taking your time to help out. Secondly, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly suggest a few business schools that fit my goals (entrepreneurship & accounting) with a decent chance of an admit, although I have listed some to which I plan to apply.
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
Current and only employment: 1-year (since May 2012) at family-owned steel trading business (20 employees) and working to open up a steel wire rod manufacturing plant. By the time I begin MBA in Fall 2014, I will have completed 2 yrs.
Role: Business Technologist
- Assisting in and supervising maintenance of accounting records of the company by the accountant.
- Assisting in and supervising implementation of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2008)
- Preparing financial reports as required by the management.
- Supervision of stock counts and generating subsequent reports for the management.
- Creation of an accounting system with new records, ledgers for the new manufacturing plant
- Creation of company websites and computing resources (managing all email accounts, IT equipment in the company)
2) Unofficial GMAT score: 700 (Q49-V35), essays and IR yet to be announced
3) College info:
The University of Iowa
GPA: 3.51 (Negative trend at first and a positive trend in last year. GPA movement: 3.92(1st sem) to 2.87(6th sem) to 3.61 (last sem)) - Negative trend at first due to taking up of many extracurricular activities - Positive trend later, despite the advanced coursework, because I had learnt to manage my time properly.
Major: Electrical Engineering (Bachelors of Science) - Minors: Computer Science, Business
Year of Graduation, 2012
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
- Board member of a Toastmasters International club
Roles: Sergeant-At-Arms (2012-2013), Vice President Membership (2013-2014)
Frequent volunteer for social events at the Indian Social and Cultural Center
- Recently became active in swimming as a sport
College extra-curricular activities:
- 2 years of secretarial and event management board member at OASIS (International student support and cultural awareness group), and
- Secretary at Hawkeye Racquetball Culb
5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
None. Although, I am undergoing preparation for the CMA exams
6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world.
All are 2-yr programs: Berkeley - Haas, Stanford, UV Darden, Babson, IIMA
7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
Prefer to apply R1-R2 in mid-to-late 2013
8) Your post-MBA goal.
Start a business in the technology and/or environmental sectors (hopefully while in college). Also plan to keep on working the family business as well.
My first recommendation would be for you to work for an additional year
. That would improve your chances of acceptance. But if you don't want to wait, consider CMU Tepper, Rochester Simon, Darden, Babson, UCLA, and USC.
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog