Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile assessment - 26/Ivy/GMAT 780

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile assessment - 26/Ivy/GMAT 780 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 15:03
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'd like to have the community review my profile and assess my chances for the schools I'm going for. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Here goes:

Asian American, born in the USA.
GMAT: 780
Education: BA in Economics, Princeton. GPA: 2.9
Work Experience:
Coming up on 5 years in Management Consulting for a leading management consulting company in the healthcare space.
-Promoted to Consultant (MBA Level) position after 2.5 years, leads teams of 3-4 junior staff members on client engagements and internal projects. Plenty of client facing experience with senior leadership.
-Lots of experience with all sorts of strategy projects, everything from product valuation and market assessments, to M&A target screening and partnership structuring.
-Selected by senior leadership to lead training courses and leads recruiting at a number of schools.

Extracurriculars:

Teaches and trains in martial arts, participates in volunteer work at NY Cares.

Career Goals: Develop management and leadership skills at b-school, transition over to client side (to get a better, and more holistic view of the business), before potentially spinning off into entrepreneurship.

I am targeting the following schools:
MIT
Kellogg
Booth
Columbia
Wharton

Any thoughts or tips on the application process?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile assessment - 26/Ivy/GMAT 780 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 09:27
Hi,

Kudos on your GMAT and work experience.

The only concern is the low GPA. So you'll want to use the optional essay to explain the GPA. Also hoping there's an upward trend after a poor start?

We have worked with clients who got into great schools with GPAs lower than yours. Happy to discuss further if you are interested. Just send me your contact info. http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine Lin
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

te="Jhthree"]Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'd like to have the community review my profile and assess my chances for the schools I'm going for. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Here goes:

Asian American, born in the USA.
GMAT: 780
Education: BA in Economics, Princeton. GPA: 2.9
Work Experience:
Coming up on 5 years in Management Consulting for a leading management consulting company in the healthcare space.
-Promoted to Consultant (MBA Level) position after 2.5 years, leads teams of 3-4 junior staff members on client engagements and internal projects. Plenty of client facing experience with senior leadership.
-Lots of experience with all sorts of strategy projects, everything from product valuation and market assessments, to M&A target screening and partnership structuring.
-Selected by senior leadership to lead training courses and leads recruiting at a number of schools.

Extracurriculars:

Teaches and trains in martial arts, participates in volunteer work at NY Cares.

Career Goals: Develop management and leadership skills at b-school, transition over to client side (to get a better, and more holistic view of the business), before potentially spinning off into entrepreneurship.

I am targeting the following schools:
MIT
Kellogg
Booth
Columbia
Wharton

Any thoughts or tips on the application process?

Thanks![/quote]

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile assessment - 26/Ivy/GMAT 780 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 11:12
Expert's post
780???
why so low?!

things look awesome for you. Too bad about that 2.9 (but still, you DID go to princeton!)
I know you have a good reason (you do, right?), please please do write the AdCom what that reason is! You have chances everywhere with your background. H/S/W might frown a bit on your GPA though, but still, you seem to have a shot.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile assessment - 26/Ivy/GMAT 780 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 15:30
If I were to select a group of schools for you to apply to, these would be it. My one concern remains your GPA as if your grades started off higher than an 2.9 and ended up being lower than a 2.9 this would be a problematic trend for admissions. Also, if you have any D's or F's on your transcript, this might also pose some problems. I would have to know more about your particular academic circumstances to see if you would add/delete schools from the list.

If either of these circumstances apply to you, it might be advisable to replace Columbia (the least forgiving about academic problems of your list) with a school like Ross or Johnson.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment!

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Profile assessment - 26/Ivy/GMAT 780   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2012, 15:30