Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Assessment (GMAT 700: Q50 & V35)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Assessment (GMAT 700: Q50 & V35) [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:03
Hi,

I am Raghav Narang, a business research professional with an extensive five years of experience. I am looking forward to pursue an MBA next year and plan to apply for various programs in the Fall 2014 intake. I would be grateful if anyone can evaluate my profile and assess my chances of admission.

Demographics: Indian / Male / 26 years
Academics: Bachelors Financial and Investment Analysis, 2008. 81% (GPA of 4.0 according to WES). University of Delhi: College of Business Studies, India. Cleared CFA Level 1 Exam.
GMAT: 700 (Q50, V35)

Work Experience: 6 years at the time of joining a B-school
Currently working as a senior analyst to support strategy team of an FTSE 100 Index company to aid corporate planning

Key Skills:
- Identifying client needs, scoping projects, gathering necessary data, analyzing the information and presenting the insights to aid top management
- Leading and managing small teams (2-4 member) to conduct research and analyses
- Mentoring and training several new-joiners
- Part of recruitment panel
- Previous experience of Business Development and new business research product creation

Targeting
R1 of 2014 fall intake

Colleges Chosen:
Rotman
Kenan Flagler
Georgetown
Indiana: Kelley
ISB
Goizueta Emory

Post MBA Target:
To be part of a main strategy team and undertake corporate and strategic planning. And later become a Strategy Director of an organisation.

Can anyone assess whether the schools I have chosen are suitable for my profile and are likely to aid me in achieving my career goals. And if not, which schools are likely to be relevant. Also what are my scholarship chances with this profile; and if the chances are low what can be done to improve these chances.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Assessment (GMAT 700: Q50 & V35) [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 19:20
Expert's post
Let's start with scholarships. The most common reason schools award scholarships is to attract top students or students they have a difficult time convincing to come to their program. Unfortunately for you, the sheer size of your applicant pool is so large that b-schools generally find they don't need to use scholarship money to convince applicants in this pool to apply or to matriculate at their school. Put more succinctly: schools award very few scholarships to Indian males. Going back to the first most common reason schools award scholarships--to attract top students, your profile does not indicate you would fall into the category of top student given that your applicant pool is so competitive. You have a good profile, but I don't see indications that you would be considered top of your pool.
The good news, however is that you should be competitive at your target schools in my opinion. Academics are impressive--not only do you have a great GPA and GMAT score, having cleared CFA level one will fully convince the adcoms that you can handle the challenging and quant-intensive b-school curriculum. Additionally, having led others on teams with a top 100 company will add credibility to your five years of WE. As for fitting with a school which will position you well for a strategy career, you can't really choose poorly here, since all of your chosen schools will provide you with the tools you would need to embark upon a strategic consulting role--either with a consulting company or within an internal operations team for a major corporation. Of course your success in the application process will require a well written application, one that compels the adcoms to offer you a seat, but the raw attributes are all there. Let us know if we can help.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Assessment (GMAT 700: Q50 & V35) [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 22:31
Thanks Bryant for all your valuable inputs. I believe these points are going to be extremely important for my applications.

Hopefully, I will be able to draft a strong application, and will definitely let you know if I need any help on the applications.

Thanks and regards,
Raghav