Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile assessment, please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Profile assessment, please! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 10:35
Hi!

If you could evaluate my profile for the top 10-15 US schools, I would really appreciate it.

The basics: 27 y/o Female URM (mixed-race African-American and Native American (father), and Caucasian (mother)) 3.0 GPA from a top-5 liberal arts school; 710 GMAT (45q, 43v).

My GPA was low because I worked 20-25 hours a week (I learned after my first semester that my dad had cancer, and my parents could not afford medical bills and help with tuition; I had to take a semester off to deal with this and graduated in 3.5 years), took a full load, was the business manager/ founder of my a cappella group, and was the managing editor of the newspaper my senior year. Also served as the lead representative on the hiring committee for the Political Science faculty. I took some Econ classes in college, but my Micro grade was a B-. I'm planning on taking either MBA Math or an accounting class at a local school to prove my quant chops.

As for career experience, I work for the government in intelligence. Without going into too many details, I'm currently the team lead for a team of analysts, graphic designers, and editors that serves up intelligence for the top policymakers. I was co-chair of the agency's employee council, where I spearheaded reorganizing and refocusing the council from being known as a "boondoggle trip group" to being the voice of the workforce to the highest levels of the agency. I also served as the executive officer for the fourth-highest ranked person in the agency, setting up a new office and program underneath his auspices. I served on my office's diversity committee. At the time of my last promotion, I was the youngest person in the agency at my level.

In my free time, I teach ESL, raise money for my undergrad college, run marathons, and volunteer at Meals on Wheels. I'm fluent in Spanish and studied abroad in the Dominican Republic.

I plan on applying to six schools through the Consortium, and a few others.

I really appreciate your review!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile assessment, please! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 10:50
Expert's post
Hi!

Fascinating background. Honestly, your profile is very strong -- the only weakness is your GPA, but I think if you address that and explain what you explained below in an optional statement you'll be fine. If you take a supplementary course as well, you should be covered.

I think you've got a great shot at top 10-15 programs! In more detail:

Academics: strong GMAT. Weak GPA, but as discussed above, can be overcome.

Professional: really sounds like you've got strong leadership capacity and stories to support that claim. The fact that you take charge within your function, are a team lead, and have set up a new program is great. It's icing on the cake that you also demonstrate firm stewardship by serving as diversity officer, etc.

Extracurricular: marathons, teaching, involvement with your undergrad --- all good stuff. You're clearly an active and engaged leader in your community.

Best of luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter