I would to get an evaluation of my profile in reference to my MBA (Finance) application. Please see below a snapshot of my profile:
- My undergraduate degree was in Accounting & Management Information Systems. I graduated with a 3.9/4.0 overall GPA (while working full-time 3 out of the 4 years). Juggled work with heavy courseload and also participated in co-curricular activities on campus.
- I have been working with a big-4 accounting firm since obtaining my undergraduate degree (4.5 years ago). I'm currently working as a Manager and have a CPA as well. Obtained CPA license while working in a challenging work environment.
- Scored a 680 on the GMAT while maintaining a full-time work schedule.
- From a work perspective, I'm mainly involved in managing engagements/professionals, and doing consulting related work. Can manage good recommendations from partners/senior managers.
- I have also worked overseas while doing 2 expat rotations with the firm's India operations whereby I was involved in managing and mentoring professionals as well as providing relevant training.
I would like to get some expert feedback on my profile. I am aiming for the following schools - Wharton, Yale, NYU, London School of Business, Dartmouth College & Duke.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Given the information you provided a very high-level quick assessment of your profile would include the following:
Strong analytical skills and sound academic record. Accounting undergrad, experience with the Big-4 and a CPA shows significant interest in finance/accounting; you really need to play these up big time to attract interest from the finance focused B schools.
The fact that you made manager in 4.5 years points to good career progression and shows that you have been doing well at work.
International exposure is a big plus and one that should help you distinguish yourself from other applicants with a similar background.
You have a good shot at a top 10 B school. However, to be able to take the next step and crack the application process, it would serve you well to focus on the following in your essays/recos:
KEY FOCUS AREAS:
You seem to be doing pretty well in your career, then why a finance MBA ? What are you lacking in your present career that would be possible post-MBA ? How will an MBA help you achieve your goals ? Developing a coherent story to explain the rationale behind doing your MBA will be crucial.
You would really need to showcase your ability to lead teams. From the data you provided, not sure if I can see a lot of evidence that would allow me to believe that you have led big teams on challenging assignments in the past. If you have those sort of experiences, please highlight them because you want B schools to perceive yourself as someone with the potential to be a future business leader.
What aspects have you done in the community or outside of your current job.
Strong profile with great potential to crack a top B school.
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect
Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool