Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Assistance Required

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Assistance Required [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 19:38
Hi,

I would to get an evaluation of my profile in reference to my MBA (Finance) application. Please see below a snapshot of my profile:

- My undergraduate degree was in Accounting & Management Information Systems. I graduated with a 3.9/4.0 overall GPA (while working full-time 3 out of the 4 years). Juggled work with heavy courseload and also participated in co-curricular activities on campus.

- I have been working with a big-4 accounting firm since obtaining my undergraduate degree (4.5 years ago). I'm currently working as a Manager and have a CPA as well. Obtained CPA license while working in a challenging work environment.

- Scored a 680 on the GMAT while maintaining a full-time work schedule.

- From a work perspective, I'm mainly involved in managing engagements/professionals, and doing consulting related work. Can manage good recommendations from partners/senior managers.

- I have also worked overseas while doing 2 expat rotations with the firm's India operations whereby I was involved in managing and mentoring professionals as well as providing relevant training.

I would like to get some expert feedback on my profile. I am aiming for the following schools - Wharton, Yale, NYU, London School of Business, Dartmouth College & Duke.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

-Rav
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Assistance Required [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 20:24
ravjitg wrote:
Hi,

I would to get an evaluation of my profile in reference to my MBA (Finance) application. Please see below a snapshot of my profile:

- My undergraduate degree was in Accounting & Management Information Systems. I graduated with a 3.9/4.0 overall GPA (while working full-time 3 out of the 4 years). Juggled work with heavy courseload and also participated in co-curricular activities on campus.

- I have been working with a big-4 accounting firm since obtaining my undergraduate degree (4.5 years ago). I'm currently working as a Manager and have a CPA as well. Obtained CPA license while working in a challenging work environment.

- Scored a 680 on the GMAT while maintaining a full-time work schedule.

- From a work perspective, I'm mainly involved in managing engagements/professionals, and doing consulting related work. Can manage good recommendations from partners/senior managers.

- I have also worked overseas while doing 2 expat rotations with the firm's India operations whereby I was involved in managing and mentoring professionals as well as providing relevant training.

I would like to get some expert feedback on my profile. I am aiming for the following schools - Wharton, Yale, NYU, London School of Business, Dartmouth College & Duke.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

-Rav

Hi,
Given the information you provided a very high-level quick assessment of your profile would include the following:

STRENGTHS:
Strong analytical skills and sound academic record. Accounting undergrad, experience with the Big-4 and a CPA shows significant interest in finance/accounting; you really need to play these up big time to attract interest from the finance focused B schools.
The fact that you made manager in 4.5 years points to good career progression and shows that you have been doing well at work.
International exposure is a big plus and one that should help you distinguish yourself from other applicants with a similar background.
You have a good shot at a top 10 B school. However, to be able to take the next step and crack the application process, it would serve you well to focus on the following in your essays/recos:

KEY FOCUS AREAS:
You seem to be doing pretty well in your career, then why a finance MBA ? What are you lacking in your present career that would be possible post-MBA ? How will an MBA help you achieve your goals ? Developing a coherent story to explain the rationale behind doing your MBA will be crucial.
You would really need to showcase your ability to lead teams. From the data you provided, not sure if I can see a lot of evidence that would allow me to believe that you have led big teams on challenging assignments in the past. If you have those sort of experiences, please highlight them because you want B schools to perceive yourself as someone with the potential to be a future business leader.
What aspects have you done in the community or outside of your current job.

OVERALL:
Strong profile with great potential to crack a top B school.

--Regards,
Neha

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Assistance Required [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 04:18
Neha,

I sincerely appreciate your expert feedback. I agree with you on the points mentioned as strength areas for my profile. The primary reason that I want to get an MBA is to explore the interplay between Accounting & Finance. I am a Corporate Tax Manager and I believe thus far have seen a good bit of how a Company's financials are put together. I have also advised publicly traded companies on various consulting projects. However, I really want to see the big picture. Adding finance skills to my present Accounting skills would help my upgrade my profile. My primary area of interest is Private Equity/M&A. The skills I would learn through an MBA would certainly help me advance in those fields. As an accountant I am very tied up with the numbers. An MBA from my perspective would give me the opportunities to think beyond numbers for example, evaluating the long term growth prospects of a company, would a certain business model work etc. Also I am very interested in moving back to India and exploring the Private Equity/M&A market there. An MBA would certainly open a lot more doors for me and help me create a better profile to match those opportunities.

As for leading teams. I believe that I have been doing that ever since I was in college. I was a Resident Assistant in College, incharge of 40-50 students on my floor. It was a job geared towards mentoring freshmen students and integrating them within the college environment. I also tutored Accounting to undergraduate and MBA students while in college. Within my job, I have held several trainings and work on several large engagements whereby i'm managing 5-10 people below me on a regular basis. I also managed teams of 30-40 people while I was on my expat rotations to our India office. Additionally I conducted several trainings (including 40-50 individuals) within our India office as well.

From a community service perspective, I am involved with Deloitte's Impact Day activities. Impact Day is basically a day every year when the entire firm works within the community. I have volunteered every year and worked on various community projects. Additionally when i worked in India on my expat assignment, I volunteered at a Zila Parishad school which involved teaching and mentoring underpriveleged kids. Additionally, as a Resident Assistant in college, I participated in hosting community events on campus, for example, blood drives etc. I am also an active member of the Asian Business Resource Group within my firm which aims to promote diversity and community involvement.

Additionally I would like to mention that I have been working in a changing environment ever since I was a kid. I went to a boarding school at a very early age (6) in India. Moved to the US at 18 and joined college here and successfully graduated with a 3.9 GPA. Within my firm, I also changed offices last year and moved to a new office. Even though I moved to a new office, I was able to convice (through my work ethic) my superiors that I was ready for a promotion (which was an accelarated one). I'm assuming that my ability to handle change would also be a plus point.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above. I do realize that I have provided quite an elaborate profile here. Once again, thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

-Rav
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Assistance Required [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 01:51
Hi,
I am Manju, actually i would like to appear at GMAT, but i am little bit confused regarding my profile that whether it might be consider as a good or not that good.
Descriptions are:-
DOB:- 12 Nov 1982
Grad:- B. Com (Ranchi University) with 57%
Post Grad:- PGDBM (Fin and marketing)(Asia Pacific institute of management, new delhi)in2006 with 76%
After that i have got the experience of 4.5 years in reputed firms in the field of marketing of financial services.
Now I am at home because of my family concerns.
Kindly review on it and give me some suggestions.
Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 6

Re: Profile Assistance Required [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
ravjitg wrote:
Neha,

I sincerely appreciate your expert feedback. I agree with you on the points mentioned as strength areas for my profile. The primary reason that I want to get an MBA is to explore the interplay between Accounting & Finance. I am a Corporate Tax Manager and I believe thus far have seen a good bit of how a Company's financials are put together. I have also advised publicly traded companies on various consulting projects. However, I really want to see the big picture. Adding finance skills to my present Accounting skills would help my upgrade my profile. My primary area of interest is Private Equity/M&A. The skills I would learn through an MBA would certainly help me advance in those fields. As an accountant I am very tied up with the numbers. An MBA from my perspective would give me the opportunities to think beyond numbers for example, evaluating the long term growth prospects of a company, would a certain business model work etc. Also I am very interested in moving back to India and exploring the Private Equity/M&A market there. An MBA would certainly open a lot more doors for me and help me create a better profile to match those opportunities.

As for leading teams. I believe that I have been doing that ever since I was in college. I was a Resident Assistant in College, incharge of 40-50 students on my floor. It was a job geared towards mentoring freshmen students and integrating them within the college environment. I also tutored Accounting to undergraduate and MBA students while in college. Within my job, I have held several trainings and work on several large engagements whereby i'm managing 5-10 people below me on a regular basis. I also managed teams of 30-40 people while I was on my expat rotations to our India office. Additionally I conducted several trainings (including 40-50 individuals) within our India office as well.

From a community service perspective, I am involved with Deloitte's Impact Day activities. Impact Day is basically a day every year when the entire firm works within the community. I have volunteered every year and worked on various community projects. Additionally when i worked in India on my expat assignment, I volunteered at a Zila Parishad school which involved teaching and mentoring underpriveleged kids. Additionally, as a Resident Assistant in college, I participated in hosting community events on campus, for example, blood drives etc. I am also an active member of the Asian Business Resource Group within my firm which aims to promote diversity and community involvement.

Additionally I would like to mention that I have been working in a changing environment ever since I was a kid. I went to a boarding school at a very early age (6) in India. Moved to the US at 18 and joined college here and successfully graduated with a 3.9 GPA. Within my firm, I also changed offices last year and moved to a new office. Even though I moved to a new office, I was able to convice (through my work ethic) my superiors that I was ready for a promotion (which was an accelarated one). I'm assuming that my ability to handle change would also be a plus point.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above. I do realize that I have provided quite an elaborate profile here. Once again, thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

-Rav

Hi,

I think you have addressed the points that I mentioned in 'Key Focus Area' very well. Just make sure to make these points highlighted in your essays as a coherent story and I am sure you will definitely achieve success.

Good luck !!!

Best Regards,

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile Assistance Required   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2010, 10:41