Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile comments? Thanks.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 92

Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 11:09
Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate: Bachelors in Commerce : B.Com (Not IT)
GPA: 71% (I dont know how to convert, since different universities have various ways of computing GPA, will find out from the uni's)
GMAT - Scheduled for late September'08

WORK EXPERIENCE
- 4 years in Financial Service Industry.
- Youngest Team Leader in my firm (globally) with a size of 40,000 employees
- Currently managing a team size 14 analysts (all are elder to me)
- Six Sigma knoweldge. Involved in 4 Six Sigma project.
- Green Belt (Six Sigma) trained - will get certified in 2 months.
- Part of Emerging Managers program - one among 7 members from 2000 employees from India.
- Involved in setting up an business unit for my firm.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
- Have been the Captain for my school team for 2 yrs in the sports activities like Cricket/ Soccer / Basketball. Played Snooker too.
- Team member in my firm's soccer team
- Boomerang collector
- Have been involved in community service for the past 10+ years.

WHY AN MBA?
Polish my skills. My focus area is GM and at a later stage involve myself in government activities (depends).

Schools applying to : H/S/W/Kell/Haas/Chicago/Yale/ Tuck(location is a pain)

I havent given the GMAT as yet, do you think a score between 700-720 would suffice? Most of the average GMAT scores for these schools are in the same range.
I working on my essays, currently brianstorming.

Comments :
1. General comments on profile: strengths/ weaknesses/concerns
2. school selection? is it too ambitious?

Will appreciate any feedback on profile and specific issues.

Last edited by pm4553 on 26 Jan 2010, 02:30, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 17:28
You may want to wait until you've taken the GMAT before starting on the essays for specific schools. Also think about more concrete answers to "Why MBA?," "Why now?" and "What are your short-term and long-term goals?."

Anything below a 720 is going to be below the average GMAT at your target schools this year. Pace your GMAT preparation accordingly. I strongly believe however that you should wait to take the GMAT and then assess your competitiveness at the schools you've identified. GMAT preparation and essay brainstorming don't go together very well.

For what it's worth, your work experience sounds really solid. And the fact you're only going to be 25 at matriculation is also going to be an asset for you.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Simon '11

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 04:19
I agree with Solaris.

Everything in your profile looks pretty solid. The only thing that would concern me is your Indian demographic but since your work experience looks incredible for a 25 year old I'd say that it doesn't really matter at all.

If you hit the 700 mark on the GMAT I think you'll have your choice at any of those schools except H/S which are always tough no matter what your profile.

I also wouldn't work on essays until you take the GMAT. Your mind needs to be totally focused on that test as no matter what your profile/experience if you bomb the test you'll most likely be kept from your top choices.

Good luck!
Director
Director

Re: Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 06:05
I concur, thanks solaris1, cereal255!! - GMAT & essays shouldn't be mixed together, one thing at a time. However, its only brainstorming and I'm hardly spending time on them.

Harvard's GMAT scores amazes me, 550?? you kidding me...may be an Olympian gold medalist?

GMAT Score Range 550-800
Middle 50% GMAT Score Range 700-750
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 21:47
Pawan,

B com is a 3 year degree(in India), most US B schools have a criterion that the UG degree should be of 4 years. pls check it out for any B school you are applying
Devil

Every saint has a past, every sinner a future, I Just hope.....

Director
Director

Re: Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 06:40
Thanks Devil!

Done & checked - with some of the Uni's I mentioned. They have replied 3 yrs education is fine for International Students (Asia & Europe).

Stanford's website :

Undergraduate Degree : The equivalent of a US bachelor's degree is required. Degrees from international universities offering only 3-year baccalaureate degrees are valid equivalents.
India: The two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required.

Chicago's website :

Academic Record - All international applicants are required to hold a college or university degree equivalent to a four-year American baccalaureate degree. In light of the Bologna Accord, Chicago GSB will also accept all three-year international degrees to fulfill the undergraduate prerequisite for application to the GSB. You will be asked to either submit official academic records or provide a self-reported transcript
Director
Director

Re: Profile comments? Thanks. [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 06:45
Oh..the reply from Harvard.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Please be advised that the Admissions Board accepts the three year undergraduate degree from several countries, including India, all of Europe and Australia. You are eligible to apply to Harvard Business School.

Thank you for your interest in the MBA Program.

MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Boston, MA 02163
http://www.hbs.edu/mba
Re: Profile comments? Thanks.   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2008, 06:45