Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile deleted

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile deleted [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 07:32
Deleted

Last edited by Nans_baby on 26 May 2006, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 12:40
Expert's post
I think that you have a pretty good profile here, and that you're thinking about the right things. As you said, the challenge for you will be standig out from a crowded pool of Indian applicants.

I understand your concern re: not having any direct reports. Your cricket experience should balance that out somewhat (although on-the-job experience is always best). Any other ways that you can show how you took an active role in someone else's development or success (e.g., your community service) will help.

I do like your passion for teamwork & leadership. While these may sound "wishy washy" and aren't concrete experiences or accomplishments, your passion for growing as a leader and a teammate *can* be a distinguishing factor for you. While a lot of other applicants will say they want an MBA for the finance skills, etc., the fact that you want to learn these softer skills to round out your tech skills can help.

You do have a shot at those top schools, but I recommend adding in one or two "safer" schools, as long as they're schools that you'd still be interested in attending. Examples might be UCLA, UT Austin, or Duke.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 27 May 2006, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Thanks [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 17:27
Thank you Scott. I appreciate your help. I am hoping to read your book in the next couple of weeks.
Intern
Intern

job change dilemma and recommendation question [#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 05:14
Scott,

I am planning to apply for FALL 07. Will a job switch at this time be looked at negatively by the Adcomms? I have been with my current company for 5.5 years.

There are 2 reasons why I am looking to change my job at this juncture. I am looking for a job with more responsibility, one that gives me a chance to directly manage a couple of people. A secondary reason is that I have completed my six sigma black belt certification and would like to be in a job that gives me an opportunity to develop more skills in this area.

Will my story be weakened by one or both of the reasons above? My current job will not let me do either.

Another question is regarding recommendation letters. I am hoping to get one recommendation from my earlier manager who is a Wharton alumnus. Second recommendation, I was planning to get from the President of my cricket team, since he can throw a lot of light on my leadership skills. He has played under my captaincy. Would this be okay or should I be looking for a second work related recommendation?

Another thing, if I change my job, I certainly would not be in a position to ask for a recommendation from my new manager within 4-5 months. But if the job involves client engagement is it okay to take recommendations directly from clients?

Thanks for your time.

Nans
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 18:02
Expert's post
I think these are valid reasons for changing jobs at this point, esp. your first point about gaining some direct management experience. Be sure to touch on this reason at some point in your applications.

Re: recommendations, I think your past boss and the cricket president are fine. For people who have recently changed jobs, adcomms knows that gettin ga reco form your current boss doesn't make the most sense. Maybe make your 2nd reco from your cricket president, and an additional one (only if you really think you need it) from a client.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews