Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile ev

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Profile ev [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 12:32
Hi Alex.
I wanted to get your opinion on my chances at either AGSM or Melbourne.
About me:
Career:
I will have 7 yrs work experience in wealth management as an financial planner/investment advisor. I currently manage an investment book of approx $80 million, as well as mentoring/coaching branch staff of 10 people. I have been consistently ranked among the top 15% of producers at my firm.
I will be 29 next year. Caucasian. Male.
I just wrote level 3 of the CFA exams - awaiting results. I have the required work experience completed for the charter.

Volunteer:
I have started volunteering with habitat but nothing in a leadership capacity. Also volunteer with the kidney foundation but again no leadership activities. Up till now studying has taken up a lot of my spare time.

Education:
BComm - 2003 - majored in marketing and minor in finance.
GPA average was 3.1 for the 4 yrs.
On a side note I also had my kidneys fail during university, was on dialysis, and had a kidney transplant so my grades were a little up and down through-out the term.

GMAT - this is one of my questions. Given the rest of my profile - what type of GMAT score would be required to even have a shot at getting into these schools? Would I even have a shot at them with my low GPA no matter what my GMAT score? I tend to do really well at standardized tests, but I don't want to be one of those people somehow stating "I assume I will get a 750" like it is no big deal. They drive me nuts.

Reason for B-School:
I don't really care about brand names. I want to return to school to gain general management skills and specialize in accounting/corporate governance/social responsibility. Upon completion I would like to work in accounting/corporate finance/treasury; eventually in a management function. The other alternative I am toying with is entering into public service upon completion but this would be an outside chance. I have looked into both of the schools to a limited degree so far, but it seems like they would be suitable. I would love your opinion on this.

I would also be open to any schools in the UK if you think there are suitable/attainable schools. I am not able to attend school in the US as I would have no chance of getting coverage for my required medications etc from the transplant. I would prefer to go to school outside of Canada to get some international experience.

I am thinking about applying to business school for either Sept 10, or Jan 11 start date

Any guidance you could provide would be great.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile ev [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 21:42
I really don't know much about AGSM or Melbourne - I assume you're in Australia right now and planning on settling down there post-MBA?

As for UK schools, you can shoot for LBS as your stretch, and Oxford, Cambridge as sweet spot schools where you should be competitive. Maybe Cranfield as a safety.

The GMAT isn't the be all end all, but a low score can significantly handicap you. For the schools you mentioned, a high GMAT score can certainly help too ("high" in this case would be 740+). A general rule of thumb with GMAT scores is that so long as your score is within their averages +/- 40 points, you're safe, and ideally at their average or above. You should be able to find the average incoming GMATs on all the schools' respective websites.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile ev [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 08:18
Thanks Alex.
In Canada right now.
Do you have experience with applications to LBS/Oxford?
When the time comes could we discuss your services? I think that your assistance would be well worth it's cost.
Is there any large benefit to applying in round one vs round two for the UK schools?
Thanks again.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile ev [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 10:44
hhh,

If you have questions about my services, just contact me offline (my email's in my sig).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile ev [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 17:58
Hi hhh I'm Australian and have some experience with AGSM (live 5 mts away from it these days) and also with MBS (best mate attended it). Your profile is strong for both schools. To be safe, 680 should be more than enough (although anything from 650+ should make you competitive). These two schools really stress on diversity and work experience, and you fit in both counts.
Re: Profile ev   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2009, 17:58