Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 00:56
Hi,
I am a 24 year old male currently working with Infosys Ltd as a systems engineer and plan to continue working until June 2014.My work ex currently is 18 months and by the time i quit it will be 28 months.
I also have a CCNA certificate(Cisco certified network associate) in networking.

I am aiming for a GMAT score of about 700 and wish to apply for Fall 2014.
My undergrad was from Mumbai University in Electronics Engineering and my aggregate for 4 years is 67%(anything above 60 in Mumbai or Pune University is excellent)
Apart from my academics,i was the captain of the football team and have won a few intra college tournaments.I was also a part of my company football team.I have participated in a few cultural events in college as well as Technical events.

Could you please share a list of MBA schools i can realistically get admits from?
Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

Considering the job experience of most of the applicants to the top schools is greater than 4 i wish to know where i stand with my current profile.

Is it a better option to go for an MIM from a top university in Europe instead?
If so could you let me know my chances of getting into schools like HEC Paris,ESCP Europe,IE business school,CEMS,LSE and ESSEC France.

Awaiting your quick response.

Thanks and regards,
Aditya
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 15:34
Expert's post
Hi there,

If I may - why are you applying after only 18mos of work experience? I only ask because that is really light regardless of whether or not you're applying to US or European schools. If you were looking to get into a well regarded program at 24, you would need an incredibly differentiated profile which, unfortunately, you don't seem to have.

Let me know your thoughts,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 00:50
I'm going to apply in December by when my job ex will be 22 months(I know its still not upto the mark)
Truth being im interested on being more on the manegerial side rather than the technical,hence i want the switch.
The company i work for is a top IT company in the country and ranked the second best here,however i do not wish to pursue a technical degree.
My only achievements are sports which arent a big deal in this country AT ALL and wouldnt be deemed amazing considering the standards of sports in other countries.
I am grateful for the fact that you were straightforward in telling me that my profile isn't good enough.

Hence my query if a masters in management from a top european school is a good way to switch from the technical side.I think my profile is good enough for a top MIM program if not an MBA,since the MIM is usually for students who have just graduated and want to enter the management world.

Please advice.

Regards and thanks,
Aditya.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 15:05
Expert's post
Hi Aditya,

If you want to make the switch into the management side as quickly as possible, sure, go for the MIM programs. BUT - understand that it limits you going forward. What I would suggest is sit tight, improve your profile, get involved in impactful activities, and apply for an MBA in 2 - 3 years.

You get one shot at this - don't make a rushed decision just because you want to make a move. Think of an advanced degree as a multiplier of your current trajectory and velocity in mathematical terms. Let's say it improves your velocity by 10x. Now let's say right now your velocity is a 5 (that's a completely arbitrary number - it's really just for example purposes). So if you get a degree, it'll bump you to 50. But in a couple of years, let's say your velocity is 20. Now you're looking at 200. That was a completely arbitrary example with almost no grounding for the example but hopefully you get the point. There's a reason people get an MBA with a few more years of work experience under their belts.

Let me know what you're thinking - we work with clients in your position. If you're interested in looking a few years down the road, a little coaching periodically can give you the guidance and structure you need to build a profile that isn't exactly the same as all the other ones you read on these forums. Being well thought out and purposeful as you build your profile can make a world of difference.

Let me know if you're interested in chatting about that or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Profile Eval   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2013, 15:05