Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile eval - 700 GMAT, 3.1 GPA, 5yrs exp at matric

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile eval - 700 GMAT, 3.1 GPA, 5yrs exp at matric [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:30
3.1 GPA with strong upward trend every semester, finished with Deans List 3.6 at top 15 liberal arts school. Degree in poli sci/minor in econ.

700 GMAT, sub 80% Q split. 42 V. Two attempts.

Targeting fall 2014 intake will have 5 years of FT experince at only DOW P&C insurance carrier. Started as intern in college and promoted 4 times. Strong recs, career progression. Work as a commercial lines underwriter for both publicly traded and private clients. Customers incl F500 media/tech/energy/retail with C-suite exposure to management. $13m P&L responsibility and project management leadership role.

Extras - chairman of regional alumni admissions group where I organize college recruiting events/college fairs/interviews. Director at local chapter of a national non/profit where I organized a group of volunteers to run a marathon raising $10k. Member of company sponsored community action board - negotiated a $10k grant for a local non profit and lead employee engagement activities at this non profit. Also provide tutoring / resume review / career coaching services to this organization which targets underprivelidged elementary and middle school kids.

Goal - senior management at global insurance carrier. Interested in mgmt consulting within insurance vertical or corporate dev at insurance carrier. May also consider equity research in this vertical.

Why B school - need additional exposure to finance, accounting, management techniques. Global focus would be helpful.

Targets - Tuck (ED) attended bridge and have family in Hanover. Top choice by far. Kellogg, Duke, Darden, Ross, Cornell, UCLA.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile eval - 700 GMAT, 3.1 GPA, 5yrs exp at matric [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 20:11
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Academics: As you know, your overall GPA is quite low. You can address it in an optional statement (it's great that there's an upward trend and dean's list at the end), but it still may be tough to overcome. The GMAT is fine - just at the 700 mark - doesn't really boost your academic profile too much, but helps put you in the running. I'd say you're average/low in this category.

Professional experience: Your work experience is good, though typically insurance underwriting is not the most team-oriented experience. In the early years it's a lot of analysis/individual contributor type work, no? That said, now that you've got P&L responsibility and PM duties, you should have good experience to draw from.

Community: Your community contributions are good. It's clear that you're committed to making a positive impact.

ECs: Alumni activity is good but not necessarily stand out.

I'd say you have a well-balanced profile overall (in that you have something in each category), but that there is nothing in it that is an unfair advantage. I think it's going to boil down to the specifics on your application - the strength of your individual stories, essays, etc. Your GPA makes it a bit of a wildcard application.

That aside, I think the biggest gap in your profile is honestly your career narrative. Do you really need an MBA to become a senior manager in a global insurance carrier? You seem well on your way... You need to make sure that your goals are ambitious enough (given your experience), that they warrant an MBA in the first place. I'd suggest you really hone in on that story and make sure your case is strong.

I think Kellogg's a stretch, as is Tuck (very competitive given small class size). I'd suggest applying to Tuck, but not Kellogg. Duke/Darden/Ross are good targets. UCLA/Cornell are good choices too, but I would say you might want to add one school that is even safer for good measure (UT Austin or USC or something like that, maybe?)

Hope this helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter