Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 21:13
Hello,

Background:
Will be 30 when I start MBA in Fall 2014
Indian Male, SAP SD Consultant in IBM

Education:
8.15 CGPA / 3.4 GPA from Jadavpur University - Chemical Engineering
700 GMAT (90th percentile) - Q50 V34, Raw Score

Work Exp:
~5 years 4 months of IT consulting experience in IBM. Have started my career with IBM in 2007 as an Automation Testing Consultant. Worked as a tester for 1.5 years and after working as a Team Lead of 4 members for 1 year, I made a lateral shift to SAP SD Functional Consultant role. I have handled clients such as Phillip Morris International, Amgen Pvt. Ltd., Merck and Emirates Aluminium (EMAL).
~Have won 2 prestigious awards from IBM. The IBM Bravo Award in 2008 for my support during critical times, and the IBM Eminence and Excellence Award for maintaining a very good level of Client relationship and satisfaction. Have been a member of the LEAN team, and have been involved with the LEAN implementation for my project.

Volunteering:
I am a team member of the Computer Literacy Program, which has been initiated to impart education to underpriviledged students of age range 8-18. I have taught students for over 3 years in due course of this program. I have made regular visits to NGO's hosting various learning programs such as Spoken English, English Grammar etc, inteviewing candidates for various activities to be held in the IBM Campus, and organizing various fun events such as Painting competition and other cultural activities.

Extra Curriculars:-
I have anchored and hosted numerous events in IBM and I have been the Cultural SPOC for my building regarding all events. I have performed as a lead vocalist in various stage shows, both in IBM events and outside local events. I am extremely passionate about Sketching and have been involved with Bird/Nature Photography.

Referrees:
1) my current upline Manager (EMAL)
2) my previous upline Manager (Phillip Morris International)

Target schools: HBS (Dream school), Tuck and Duke (Reality).

Interests: Looking forward to work with the best consulting firms of the world. My interests lie with Strategy, entrepreneurship, general management.

Please comment on my overall profile, and specifically my GMAT score and my target schools.

Thank you,
Som
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 00:00
Expert's post
I think overall you have a good solid strong profile. Good grades all around, which led you to a good job, with good leadership in a good firm. Good GMAT.

Is this enough to get you into HBS? Likely not. The question there would be what is your unique value proposition? they are gonna have a LOT of applications from similar candidates from India but who have a) higher grades b) from IIT (from which they draw the majority of their students) c) with a higher GMAT, so you might be better off choosing two or three other schools down the list.

Even Tuck and Duke will be no cakewalk for you. The average GMATs are higher (and you can be sure even higher than that for Indian candidates). You DO have a good solid profile, but if you are attempting Top5/Top 10 schools you will need to find something in your background that will propel you out from the crowd.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 00:43
Hello,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Could you please suggest what should be my plan of action? Kindly suggest some good schools which helps placing students in good consultancy firms.

The only thing which I did not share in my previous post, is the fact that I hav been the only earning member in my family, which consists of 3 members (mom and elder brother), since I passed out of high school. I am also responsible for every decision making activity in my family.

Regards,
Som
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well, it's very good that you are the breadwinner, and let's make sure you get a good job then! (For your MBA application, I'm not sure if it has any relevance though.)

So, what would be your action plan?
Step 1: Consider whether or not you want to retake the GMAT - You have a 700, an excellent score, so you don't need to, but if you feel (or know) you CAN get higher, it can help. And since you have some time, every little bit does. If however, you are near your max score, I would say don't sweat it.

Step 2: Come up with a good strategy. What is a good strategy? One that helps you reach your REAL life-goals. That means that "I want to go to HBS because it's the best" is NOT a good strategy. Because everybody always wants to go to the "best", but sometimes the "best" is not best for you. Instead it should be" I want to get an education that will allow me to do X". and then your options open up. In general,a good strategic choice of schools will look something like this: 2 Dream schools that are challenging but possible (say Tuck and Duke), 2 schools at which I would be competitive (Anderson, Tepper, Johnson), one or two schools where I am a good candidate (e.g. Babson). This only an example and I'm not suggesting you apply to only these schools! With goals for consulting almost any business school out there is good for you, as consulting is the bread and butter business of MBA folks.

Step 3 (optional, but great): If you can, VISIT!!!!!! Take a trip to the US and SEE the schools you want to go to with your own eyes. I cannot stress enough, how much this will help you make a decision that will keep you happy.

I think that should be a good start.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Current Student

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:38
Hello Jon,

I cant thank you enough for giving me such an insight and pointing me to the right direction! :)

For Step 1: Since, I am a little tight on cash, I think I have to make the best out of the GMAT score that I have got. Additionally I have a pretty good Academic record througout my life. I hope that might help.

For Step 2: An excellent suggestion. I have kept HBS out of scope. As I said earlier, since money is an issue here, I'll apply to a maximum of 3 schools. I am pretty bolted towards a good start in a good Consultancy Firm. I have sent scores to Duke, UNC, Emory and HBS. I will apply to any Duke, UNC and Tuck.

Step 3 isn't possible.

Nevertheless, I am worried about my financial background standing as a barrier between me and my B school aspirations. So, I am very particular about selecting schools, an MBA from which will fetch me my Dream job, or something even close to that. (Couldn't help myself being honest here!)

Regards,
Som
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 02:24
Expert's post
You are welcome!!!
It's what we do best
:)

One more final parting comment (using the wisdom of many years consulting)... The logic of "I can't afford to retake the GMAT" or "I can't afford to visit" doesn't really make sense if you analyze it. Meaning money should not even be an argument. Yes, even if you are drawing an Indian salary and yes even if you are supporting your entire family and every dollar counts, still if you COULD get a 750, this will translate into better school better salary and better prestige LIFELONG.. Your return on this investment will be COLOSSAL.. So don't think about money when you make this decision.

If, however, you are unsure you would get higher, well then THAT is a good argument.

Hope this helps you further, and if you need help selecting schools or anything drop us a line.

Cheerio

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Current Student

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 20:49
Thanks a lot Jon, talking about my profile actually helped me a lot and gave me a fair idea where I stand and which schools to apply to. I have considered Duke, Tuck, Darden, UCLA and UNC. I feel I have a good chance of getting into one of these, provided I have a strong application. But it would be really nice if you could some value to my list of selected schools (which ones to add, which ones to leave out).

Regards,
Som
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 00:24
Expert's post
I think that if you apply to those five schools, you can hope for an admit, and your list is both ambitious and reasonable. Given your background, profile and GMAT score, the other schools that come to mind are Tepper and McCombs. If you were to add one school on the "challenging" side, Haas makes sense, given where you are coming from.

And voila!
:)
\time to apply, I guess.
Go write some beautiful essyas

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com