Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval.700 GMAT Raw Score /5 yrs work ex. in IBM India [#permalink]
Hello,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Could you please suggest what should be my plan of action? Kindly suggest some good schools which helps placing students in good consultancy firms.

The only thing which I did not share in my previous post, is the fact that I hav been the only earning member in my family, which consists of 3 members (mom and elder brother), since I passed out of high school. I am also responsible for every decision making activity in my family.

Regards,
Som
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Jon,

I cant thank you enough for giving me such an insight and pointing me to the right direction! :)

For Step 1: Since, I am a little tight on cash, I think I have to make the best out of the GMAT score that I have got. Additionally I have a pretty good Academic record througout my life. I hope that might help.

For Step 2: An excellent suggestion. I have kept HBS out of scope. As I said earlier, since money is an issue here, I'll apply to a maximum of 3 schools. I am pretty bolted towards a good start in a good Consultancy Firm. I have sent scores to Duke, UNC, Emory and HBS. I will apply to any Duke, UNC and Tuck.

Step 3 isn't possible.

Nevertheless, I am worried about my financial background standing as a barrier between me and my B school aspirations. So, I am very particular about selecting schools, an MBA from which will fetch me my Dream job, or something even close to that. (Couldn't help myself being honest here!)

Regards,
Som
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are welcome!!!
It's what we do best
:)

One more final parting comment (using the wisdom of many years consulting)... The logic of "I can't afford to retake the GMAT" or "I can't afford to visit" doesn't really make sense if you analyze it. Meaning money should not even be an argument. Yes, even if you are drawing an Indian salary and yes even if you are supporting your entire family and every dollar counts, still if you COULD get a 750, this will translate into better school better salary and better prestige LIFELONG.. Your return on this investment will be COLOSSAL.. So don't think about money when you make this decision.

If, however, you are unsure you would get higher, well then THAT is a good argument.

Hope this helps you further, and if you need help selecting schools or anything drop us a line.

Cheerio
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot Jon, talking about my profile actually helped me a lot and gave me a fair idea where I stand and which schools to apply to. I have considered Duke, Tuck, Darden, UCLA and UNC. I feel I have a good chance of getting into one of these, provided I have a strong application. But it would be really nice if you could some value to my list of selected schools (which ones to add, which ones to leave out).

Regards,
Som
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think that if you apply to those five schools, you can hope for an admit, and your list is both ambitious and reasonable. Given your background, profile and GMAT score, the other schools that come to mind are Tepper and McCombs. If you were to add one school on the "challenging" side, Haas makes sense, given where you are coming from.

And voila!
:)
\time to apply, I guess.
Go write some beautiful essyas
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts