Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Dec 2014, 00:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile eval-710GMAT,7yrs,co-founder nanotech firm,guitarist

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 16

profile eval-710GMAT,7yrs,co-founder nanotech firm,guitarist [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 01:55
Hello,
I'm planning to apply for fall of 2013.
I am trying to figure out what I should consider a reach, a match, and a safety school.
My plan is 1 or 2 reaches and 2-3 matches in R1 and then a few safety schools in R2 if those dont work out.

Indian Male, will be 27 (almost 28) at matriculation

Gmat - 710 50q 35v

Work History (At Matriculation)

4 years - IT Product Consultant - at firm with number one position in Global Billing Market
3 years - Telecom Presales Consultant - one of the five largest India-based IT services firms

At each of my positions, I was rated among top 5% high performers and saw multiple promotions. I have great stories from my current role.
I led a team of 2 to develop an application which was nominated for the innovator of the year award back in 2010.
In my previous project, I led a team of 16 associates for a short period of time (approx. 1 year) , but my work was very much appreciated by clients.
In my current role, I have won my company 6 major bids (over 1 M$ in revenue) for Telecomm implementation projects.
I have been working with French associates from our company for over 2 years now. I understand french. I am planning to write French DELF A1 certification soon.

College

Graduated 2006 GPA 73% - represents top 1% for our university (65% - class I, 75% - distinction)
Major Electronics and Telecommunications,

Work/Extra-curricular in College

Guitarist and lead vocalist for college band.
represented college in IEEE region 10 web development competition.
Organised National level tech fest.

Post College

- Co-founded a nanotech firm. The company is in inception stage. We are waiting for regulatory approvals. We have filed US patent and are waiting for it to come through. We have a pilot kit ready and have started pitching the business plan to different govt agencies for funding. Recently the idea was ranked 4th in a business idea competition hosted by one of the countries tier 1 B schools.
- Organised many community outreach programs with my current and previous employer to teach guitar to underprivileged kids. Our project won Nasscom CSR champ award.

Post MBA Goal

- Continue working as a cofounder in our firm and roll out new nanotech products we have in our plan.
- As you can see in my work history, I have 7 years of technology experience. I love the technology domain and would like to make the most of the experience I have. I have chosen target schools which have tech connections (tech recruiters / geographic advantage).
- I would like to see a career progression from IT consulting towards hard-core consulting.

Target Schools

MIT (Sloan)
Yale
UC Berkeley (Haas)
Duke (Fuqua)
Virginia (Darden)
Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
Cornell (Johnson)
UCLA (Anderson)
Michigan (Ross)
Texas--Austin (McCombs)
USC (Marshall)
University of Texas--Dallas
Georgia Institute of Tech
Notre Dame (Mendoza)
Texas A&M (Mays)

Please let me know your thoughts about my overall profile and the schools I have chosen.

Lahoosaher

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 3

Re: profile eval-710GMAT,7yrs,co-founder nanotech firm,guitarist [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 19:38
Expert's post
You have the right combination of skills, experience and credentials for a good run at your target schools. I like your strategy of applying to several schools across the spectrum of admissions difficulty and applaud your systematic approach. Certainly the schools on your list all have varying personalities and cultures, so you should do some research on where you think you will fit in the best, but your core qualifications should put your in the realm of feasibility for any or all of them. One thing to consider is that your post MBA goal, being entrepreneurial, may scare off some schools who depend on their grads getting "real" jobs within 90 days of graduation, so as to reflect well on their stats for the rankings boards. Your goal is to convince the committees that you either have a very good chance of getting funded for an entrepreneurial venture, or that you have a short term goal to work somewhere that is likely to hire you. Statistics show that very few freshly minted MBAs receive startuup funding, so you might consider a short term goal which will prepare you to run your own operation, but will dovetail nicely into your past and transitioning to the full entrepreneurial goal going forward in the future.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews