Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 02:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval: 760 GMAT, 3.0 GPA, American, 11 yrs China exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 2.99
WE: Business Development (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval: 760 GMAT, 3.0 GPA, American, 11 yrs China exp [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 05:29
I’m a 32 y/o American W/M that’s lived in China since graduating from Ohio State in 2004. During that time I’ve spent three years in Central China (much more significant China experience than Shanghai/Beijing ), taken media sales jobs of increasing responsibilities and now manage the Asia Pacific business development department (and a team of 5) for a global top 100 law firm from our Hong Kong hub.

I’ve been told that I’m competitive at the UChicago and CBS EMBA programs based in Hong Kong, but want to explore if I’m competitive enough at Sloan/Booth/Tuck or even Wharton/Stanford (especially Lauder) to justify an investment in time and money to apply to full time programs as well. I think a 20% chance at each would justify the investment for me.

Details:

GMAT:Between 730 and 770 (q46-49 v44-46) on practice exams in first month of studying (one month more to study)
Undergrad: 2.992 GPA at Ohio State in international studies (no real trend). The reason for the low score was a lack of maturity. It took me until my late 20’s to really put things together.

Why MBA: Since putting things together in my late 20’s my career’s really hit the accelerator and I realize how much I can do and would like the brand, network and abilities to ensure I go as far as I can. I’m interested in a full time mba for the recruiters and the ability to get on the career ladder at a bkue chip company directly rather than using the EMBA for a number of transition jobs. I’m looking for a way to switch from support staff at a professional /financial services company and become a principal. Though, having marketed and packaged legal solutions for Fortune 500 MNC’s, a general management position there is also interesting.

Fluent spoken, intermediate written Mandarin

I hope to apply for first round applications.

Is the China angle/High GMAT enough to overcome the low GPA? I’d appreciate if you could quantify the chance of acceptance W/S in one tier and Booth/Sloan/Tuck in another.

I'd much rather be told that there's no real chance of this than endure the opportunity costs of a pipe dream. It seems like you're the guy for directness, I'd very much value that.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Brian
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Eval: 760 GMAT, 3.0 GPA, American, 11 yrs China exp [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 15:14
Hey Brian - thanks for asking for input from EssaySnark.

First up: we TOTALLY disagree with what you heard from another consultant re: your grades. Sure, Harvard looks for evidence of overachievement, and low grades are a blemish - but it is absolutely not the end of the world.

Now before we get ahead of ourselves, we're not trying to say that you're otherwise qualified for HBS or you're guaranteed to get in - but we take issue with the advice you got elsewhere. It's just not true, and it's totally unfair to make such categorical statements (that type of stuff is what prompted this rant that we published on the EssaySnark blahg awhile back).

Before we can say much more about your profile though, we honestly do need a GMAT score. A high score won't offset lower grades but it counts for a lot and it's tough enough to be definitive about this stuff with the full picture; we need to know more before we can say much. You're testing at a very respectable level but everybody does better on the practice exams; we hardly ever hear of anyone pulling out even a similar score to what they do on the mocks. So if you get a 730, GREAT! But we can't count on it until it's done.

The next issue of course is you're definitely on the way-older side. This is potentially a bigger deal than GPA - even moving into possibly showstopper territory at some schools. You really are much more appropriate to an EMBA program. It's possible to get into H / S / especially W with this much age and experience but it becomes less likely; they admit "older" candidates every year, just not that many.

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID: There's some interesting stuff going on. The American ex-pat in China thing has REAL VALUE. You very well could have enough in the story to make this work.

But we truly don't have enough data to say.

Apologies for the upsell (this is the first time we've done this today, we totally don't pull this on everyone!) but we'd encourage you to go for our Comprehensive Profile Review which is just what it says it is and we can drill down into EVERYTHING - read about it here and specifically check out the reviews that others have left; GMAT Club members get a $10 discount if you click through from this page).

You probably wouldn't want to do that till you have your GMAT score in hand - which we hope will be SOON if you're planning on Harvard!!! That deadline is coming up fast and you need to be WRITING ESSAYS NOW!! (did everyone hear that???)

Hope there was something mildly useful in all of that...

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Profile Eval: 760 GMAT, 3.0 GPA, American, 11 yrs China exp   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2013, 15:14