Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval and advice please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile eval and advice please [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 13:11
Hello,

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

1) Brief background:
Nationality: Chinese American
Bachelor of Science - GPA: 3.63 from a small private college.
Master of Science - GPA: 3.80 from a second tier private university.
GMAT: 680 - Q47, V35, AWA 5.

Total 5 years of work history in user experience design.
2 years with a tech start up company, key member of product launching.
3 years with a mid sized energy management firm, promoted once, to creative lead.

Community services:
In college: president of international student club, school marching band lead, student senate board member, residence assistant.
After college: alumni career mentor, involved with an architecture preservation group and an animal rights group. Helped push passing state law on restrictions on puppy mill breading.

2) Interests and goals
Short term: Product manager in tech industry.
I've always enjoyed designing and building products, particularly technology and software. I'd like to stay in the high tech industry but with a change in job function. From a hands-on role to more of a leadership position.

Long term: My own design/innovation consultancy
Eventually I'd like to run my own consultancy and help companies improve the process of product development, as well as product research, viability, pricing, marketing. (IDEO kind of stuff).

I've always focused on the aspect of designing and improving product user experience, and I feel that lacking core business knowledge is preventing me from moving ahead.

3) Interested schools
Georgetown, Emory, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, UConn

So, here goes my questions:
1. I think my GMAT score is not as good as those of my fellow Chinese applicants, is the above list reasonable? (I really studied very hard for a long time, 680 was actually the highest out of all practice tests.)
2. I don't have any brand name companies on my resume. Will that put me in a disadvantage against other applicants?
3. How do schools value applicants with focus on design thinking and innovation?
4. Are there other schools you would recommend looking into?

Again, thank you very much for your time and inputs.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 50

Re: Profile eval and advice please [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello,

Thank you for the thought, well organized questions. I'll answer them in order:

• Don't worry about your GMAT score compared to those of other Chinese Americans. You should indeed worry if your GMAT score is low compared to a school's average score (not the case for the schools you're considering), but don't obsess over what scores other Chinese Americans get. I think you have a realistic set of schools here
  • Schools really do care more about what you've done than where you've worked. All things being equal, it's nice to have a "brand name" company on your resume because admissions officers will readily recognize it, understand what the company does, etc. But they're most interested in what you've achieved and what experiences you've gained.
  • As long as your design focus isn't inconsistent with what the school's focus is, I have to think that this ability to look at things in new ways and "think outside of the box" can only help you.
  • Given your "stats," it's going to definitely be a reach, but Stanford GSB's "d.school" joint program would be very intriguing for you. Maybe it's your ultimate reach school, among a list of safer choices.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile eval and advice please [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 09:31
Thank you Scott for the detailed answers.