Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval and in need of resume advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Profile Eval and in need of resume advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 17:56
Hi,

GMAT: 700

Education: USC, Bachelors of Science Accouting (3.52 Overall GPA, 3.67 Major GPA); Various Community Colleges (4.0) - note that I'm not a transfer student, but just took classes outside of USC given the outrageous tuition.

Work experience

Professional
Licensed CPA; Sitting for the CAIA exam
Big Four Accounting for 2 years
Fortune 100 Media Company in the Cable Television Group

On the Side
I own my own investment company. I studied finance on my own extensively for two years while I was at the Big Four firm (given the resources), and 3 years later, I've got my own company with other partners. The assets under management are in the $1M-$10M category, all fully owned (we invest for ourselves, not others).

Extra-Curricular
While at USC: Four Internships total, one on-campus job, and was a member of several organizations for a long period of time, but no serious leadership. Mentored underclassmen in official programs once I became an upperclassmen for two years.

After USC:

For the past three years, heavily involved with a Non-Profit in several committees, namely for Strategy and Operations; Also helped create a new grant program that utilizes academic research to help support the Non-Profit's efforts in obtaining corporate funding; In the process of researching ROI, ROE to help measure the efficiency with which donated dollars are being spent. I also manage the relationship of the organization with its various partner schools (they perform a civic function in partnership with the organization on certain days of the week) and manage the event (usually has over 100 people per event).

I'm also involved in a Career Mentorship program at USC, and my involvement will be three years at Matriculation.

Before those three years: Was heavily involved in volunteering at my Big Four, and led a fundraising effort that brought in over $2K for a charity. I also was involved in several committees at the Big Four, but nothing special came of it (a committee with no teeth).

I'm not really asking about my chances, since I already know where I stand a good chance to get into (Schools ranked #8-25). Money isn't an issue, so I'm not worried about getting scholarships and what not.

My goal is to eventually build my firm into a Warren Buffett-like machine. The MBA, for me, is a means to that end. It'll help me gain access to an I-Banking job, or a corporate development role where I can further develop my investing/finance skills. You can only do so much on your own.

What I am worried about is the structure of my resume as well as my essays. As you can see, I detailed my involvement with my ECs extensively, not so much with work. However with work, particularly at the Media company, should I detail out my accomplishments, in terms of the escalating responsibilities or should I describe them in monetary terms, such as PL sales managed and profit achieved? Also, what should I emphasize most in my resume, my EC accomplishments or my work accomplishments? I'm dedicated to both and they do take up a lot of my time.

Thank you for your time.

USCtrojan2006
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval and in need of resume advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 20:15
On your resume, you should always put down actionable items, such as P&L. In your essays, you can be much more subjective and stamp your ideas and perspectives. There's really nothing wrong with writing about your extracurricular activities, but as always, tailor your answer to the actual question being asked. It would be bad if you ONLY talk about extracurriculars, but it would also be bad if you have only your work to talk about. Strike a balance in between - no adcoms need to know the way you divide your life up, but they'll be interested in reading why you want an MBA and what makes you tick.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval and in need of resume advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 20:58
Thanks Bakfed, much appreciated.

I'm just apprehensive about writing about the PL items, given that I only did the analysis behind them, not the decision making. That obviously falls to the Executives....I would think the adcom/interviewers could see through this?

bakfed wrote:
On your resume, you should always put down actionable items, such as P&L. In your essays, you can be much more subjective and stamp your ideas and perspectives. There's really nothing wrong with writing about your extracurricular activities, but as always, tailor your answer to the actual question being asked. It would be bad if you ONLY talk about extracurriculars, but it would also be bad if you have only your work to talk about. Strike a balance in between - no adcoms need to know the way you divide your life up, but they'll be interested in reading why you want an MBA and what makes you tick.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval and in need of resume advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 23:08
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
Thanks Bakfed, much appreciated.

I'm just apprehensive about writing about the PL items, given that I only did the analysis behind them, not the decision making. That obviously falls to the Executives....I would think the adcom/interviewers could see through this?

bakfed wrote:

truth is, adcoms know that most people have the entry level...since most people just graduated from college and that it's their first job. No matter how glamorous it is, adcoms will know that the "operations manager" will not be making that 200 million dollar deal or whatnot. The point is, it's fine that it's not the top or the best deal, but it's the initiative, the responsibility, the leadership, and the many other things that adcoms are looking for.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Eval and in need of resume advice   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2011, 23:08