Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile eval and target school advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

profile eval and target school advice [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 09:58
Hi all,

I applied to 5 schools this year:
Wharton (r1 - interview - ding),
Stern (r1-no interview-waitlist),
Darden (r1-interview-waitlist),
Booth (r2-interview-ding),
Yale (r2-ding).

To boost my chances of getting of waitlist I retook the GMAT and got a much better score: Score 1: 680 V 38 Q46. Score 2: 730 V 42 Q48.

Given the somewhat disappointing results, I am starting to develop a strategy for 2012. I would appreciate any advice and feedback you may have.

I am 28, male. International applicant working in US. Travelled extensively, lived outside my home country for 10 years. Five years of work experience in consulting, have managed projects end to end. Worked on some unique projects. Co-author on a congressional study of a major housing issue.

Undergrad GPA 3.03 from University of Richmond. Majored in Economics and Finance, but the hold a degree in Business Administration. Post MBA goals include transitioning to work in finance or a bigger consulting firm.

Merci
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: profile eval and target school advice [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 10:28
Hi fuji, I think with your new score you'd be opening a lot more doors for yourself. Congratulations, by the way.

I'm guessing you're waiting to hear from Darden and that Darden knows of your 730 GMAT score?

In any case, you landed interviews at Wharton, Booth, and Darden. This only shows that you have what it takes and that you've looked good enough on paper for them to give you a chance. How much interview preparation have you done? Did you practice in front of a mirror? Did you really give the potential questions some thought? With 3 interviews from top schools, I can't imagine that you've done something terribly wrong in your application, otherwise you wouldn't have landed the interview. If I were you, I'd see if I can get some ding analysis from the schools that rejected you and see what the problem was. Perhaps it was the interview. Perhaps it was an unrealistic goal(s). Perhaps it was something else. From what you wrote, I can't really pinpoint down exactly what it was (though your GPA is on the lower end for top schools). If you cannot obtain rejection analysis from schools, really focus on crafting your essays to represent who you are, what your goals are, and practice heavily on mock interviews. I think you still have a shot at some of the top schools, but with some analysis from the schools themselves, you can then focus a bit more on how you've strengthened yourself in your reapp; otherwise, it's a shot in the dark from your perspective.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: profile eval and target school advice [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 10:40
Thanks bakfed,

I will definitely try to get rejection feedback.

I did practice a lot for the interviews so I think it might have been the combination of lower, at the time, GMAT and GPA. I am really not sure, so I definately look forward to getting some feedback.

I have informed Darden and NYU about the new scores. But its getting kinda late I guess.

Game face for 2012!
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: profile eval and target school advice [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 10:50
It is getting a bit late, but honestly, I think with your experience from these past applications and with your new GMAT score, you'll be able to find yourself at a top b-school come next year.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: profile eval and target school advice [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 19:03
fuji wrote:
Hi all,

I applied to 5 schools this year:
Wharton (r1 - interview - ding),
Stern (r1-no interview-waitlist),
Darden (r1-interview-waitlist),
Booth (r2-interview-ding),
Yale (r2-ding).

To boost my chances of getting of waitlist I retook the GMAT and got a much better score: Score 1: 680 V 38 Q46. Score 2: 730 V 42 Q48.

Given the somewhat disappointing results, I am starting to develop a strategy for 2012. I would appreciate any advice and feedback you may have.

I am 28, male. International applicant working in US. Travelled extensively, lived outside my home country for 10 years. Five years of work experience in consulting, have managed projects end to end. Worked on some unique projects. Co-author on a congressional study of a major housing issue.

Undergrad GPA 3.03 from University of Richmond. Majored in Economics and Finance, but the hold a degree in Business Administration. Post MBA goals include transitioning to work in finance or a bigger consulting firm.

Merci

Hi,

Your new GMAT will surely add value to your app.

Your profile is a perfect match as far as targeted schools are concerned, i don't see any concrete reason why things should not work for you.

Schools like Wharton,darden do not give you interview invitee for the sake of it, so you are a fit as far as your profile is concerned.

Just share your experience and confidence level at essay and specially at Interview ? whats your gut feeling about both ?

thanks

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: profile eval and target school advice   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2012, 19:03