Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval- Atypical Applicant Public Sector Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.61
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval- Atypical Applicant Public Sector Experience [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 22:07
I recently applied to MBA schools R2 and can't really figure out if I am very strong applicant (will even get funding) or don't stand a chance. I was hoping to get some insight into my chances as if there is a strong likelihood I will get in to a school there are a lot of things I need to arrange with my current job as well as my wife's.

Ethnicity: Hispanic (born and grew up in US, but also hold Guatemalan citizenship)
Test scores: I took the GRE instead of GMAT, since I was more familiar with the test 165/V 168/Q GMAT equivalent of 760.
Undergrad: I went to public university, 3.61 GPA Econ/Political Science
Grad School: Harvard Kennedy 2 yr MPP and have a 1yr diploma from Johns Hopkins SAIS in 09. GPAs at both was around 3.25.
Work Experience: A significant amount of contract/internship working and living abroad in Italy and South America in primarily energy. More recently worked in public sector in a variety of capacities including as a HS math teacher. Currently working as a successful entrepreneur in RE. Started as a hobby and went on to do it full-time.

I applied to a range of schools ranked from 1-12.

I think on about every area I differ a bit from the traditional applicant, even having taken the GRE as opposed to GMAT, so I don't feel using class profiles is meaningful.

I would truly appreciate any insight anyone can offer. It took a lot to apply to MBA now with my own family and business, and this uncertainty is a bit stressful on us all.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval- Atypical Applicant Public Sector Experience [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 07:25
Expert's post
Hi there,

Well first of all, fingers crossed for you as it sounds like right now is just the waiting game!! But hopefully you'll get some news soon.

For the most part, based solely on the info you provided here, it sounds like you are a strong candidate. Your GRE scores are excellent, strong academics, great international experience and exposure, and diversity of work experience. It is more difficult to assess with just a brief summary, vs the full resume and application, so it's a little unclear what that work experience path looks like... from a quick overview, if had to pick something questionable, could sound as though the path was a little scattered or that you changed jobs frequently?? But again that may be clarified within a full resume and application, so not NECESSARILY a weakness, just have to look for all potential pros and cons.

I don't know much about your outside-of-work activities or community involvements, and about your post-MBA goals, all relevant. But just based on an overview here, I would think you would have a shot at some of the programs you applied to.... IF you sealed the deal with compelling essays to get your point across and show who you are, what you'll bring to the class, and what you'll do with the MBA.

At this point though, as you know, doesn't matter so much what we say ;) as it's a done deal, as I understand it you've already submitted. So try to relax a bit and focus on other things as much as possible until you hear more or get your interview invites etc! Good luck and please let us know!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php