Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval, can i get into these schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 08:11
My profile:

I prefer to apply to MBA school for 2012. I would like to go to a top 30 university that is well known for finance and investment management. My ultimate goal is portfolio management (value investing).

27 / Male / American / Caucasian (I will be 29 at matriculation)

Languages: English

Undergrad: B.S in Finance and a minor in Information Technology, 2006
Top 40 regional state school
Cumulative GPA: 3.8/4.0

Advanced classes: I have taken advanced math classes, above the business school requirements (Calculus 1 & Calculus 2) and scored well in both.

Extra-Curricular Activities: Was on the executive board for an student investment committee at my undergrad school and directly managed money. Co-own a real estate investment company. Founded and write for a value investing website.

International Experience: Backpacked Europe for 1 month, Australia for 1 month, and Peru for 1 month. Have been to approximately 15 countries.

GMAT 1: 620, Q44, V31, 5.5
GMAT 2: 610, Q40, V34, 5.5
GMAT 3: 650, Q47, V34, 6.0

Work Experience:
2010-Present - Top 4 accounting firm performing business valuations.
2006-2010 - Middle-market financial consulting firm performing business valuations.
2009-Present - Started a value investing website.
2008-Present - Started and own a real estate investment company.
Summer 2005 - Project manager assistant internship for a large bank working on a large technology project
Previous: Network & IT Administrator for a small business in high school and part of college

Future:
Increase volunteer work

Target Schools: 2 year FT program or PT program

The schools I am thinking on applying to are:
[*]Vanderbilt University (Owen)
[*]Duke University (Fuqua)
[*]University of Michigan (Ross)
[*]Cornell University (Johnson)
[*]University of North Carolina (Kenan Flagler)
[*]University of Wisconsin (Madison)

Please let me know if my chances to these schools are reasonable. Even though my overall GMAT score is a little weak, I think with the high Quant score, high AWA score, high GPA and good work experience make up for it. Please let me know if I am off base on any of these. Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by I3igDmsu on 20 Feb 2011, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 08:53
Hi there, I think you have a shot in all the schools you listed. You have a super strong GPA and very solid work experience. I think you know that your GMAT is the only thing holding you back. If these are the schools you want to go to, by all means go for it and I have little doubt that more than two will take you in. However, if you want to go to a more branded/famed school for finance, boost your GMAT up to 700+ and you can easily target the top 10 schools, which will undoubtedly give you an easier access into the market you want to be in post-MBA.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 20:04
I3igDmsu wrote:
My profile:

I prefer to apply to MBA school for 2012. I would like to go to a top 30 university that is well known for finance and investment management. My ultimate goal is portfolio management (value investing).

27 / Male / American / Caucasian (I will be 29 at matriculation)

Languages: English

Undergrad: B.S in Finance and a minor in Information Technology, 2006
Top 40 regional state school
Cumulative GPA: 3.8/4.0

Advanced classes: I have taken advanced math classes, above the business school requirements (Calculus 1 & Calculus 2) and scored well in both.

Committees: Was on the executive board for an student investment committee at my undergrad school and directly managed money.

International Experience: Backpacked Europe for 1 month, Australia for 1 month, and Peru for 1 month. Have been to approximately 15 countries.

GMAT 1: 620, Q44, V31, 5.5
GMAT 2: 610, Q40, V34, 5.5
GMAT 3: 650, Q47, V34, 6.0

Work Experience:
2010-Present - Top 4 accounting firm performing business valuations.
2006-2010 - Middle-market financial consulting firm performing business valuations.
2009-Present - Started a value investing website.
2008-Present - Started and own a real estate investment company.
Summer 2005 - Project manager assistant internship for a large bank working on a large technology project
Previous: Network & IT Administrator for a small business in high school and part of college

Future:
Increase volunteer work

Target Schools: 2 year FT program or PT program

The schools I am thinking on applying to are:
[*]Vanderbilt University (Owen)
[*]Duke University (Fuqua)
[*]University of Michigan (Ross)
[*]Cornell University (Johnson)
[*]University of North Carolina (Kenan Flagler)
[*]University of Wisconsin (Madison)

Please let me know if my chances to these schools are reasonable. Even though my overall GMAT score is a little weak, I think with the high Quant score, high AWA score, high GPA and good work experience make up for it. Please let me know if I am off base on any of these. Thanks for the help in advance!

You have a strong profile, however, your GMAT is a little weak, especially for the middle four schools. However, the extra classes that you took in calculus should definitely help you. Your work experience also looks interesting and should help you to present solid and logical set of goals. However, your extracurricular looks weak at this point of time and you should leave no time to start making some substantial contribution in some out-of-work activities that you can leverage in your applications. At the end, your chances of success will depend on how well you execute your applications. Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 07:04
Thanks for the feedback. I have a few other sources of extra-curricular activities that I did not mention above which includes co-ownership in a real estate investment firm and founder and writer of a value investing website. I believe I still need to increase my charity/community activities though.

What is the maximum mean/median school GMAT score that I should shoot for? For example, University of Michigan has a mean of a 700 and I have a 650 score (a 50 point spread). What is the maximum spread that I should even attempt to do applications for, given all of my credentials?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:16
I3igDmsu wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I have a few other sources of extra-curricular activities that I did not mention above which includes co-ownership in a real estate investment firm and founder and writer of a value investing website. I believe I still need to increase my charity/community activities though.

What is the maximum mean/median school GMAT score that I should shoot for? For example, University of Michigan has a mean of a 700 and I have a 650 score (a 50 point spread). What is the maximum spread that I should even attempt to do applications for, given all of my credentials?

Look at it this way - GMAT will not make or break your application. However, The closer you are to the top of the mean/median of the school in terms of GMAT, the better it will be. On the other hand, the further away you are from the averages of the school, more will be the concern about your analytical abilities to handle the coursework. At the end of the day, if you have a low score which may raise a red flag, you should try your best to address it and execute the rest of your application well enough for the adcom to ignore that one test score. The middle 80% range is the good place to start with.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 09:44
Hi

I believe you have a profile strong enough to crack the best. While the GMAT might put you on a slight backfoot, I believe your academics and work ex should sail you through. It would be essential to highlight all the unique aspects of your profile especially since they fit in with your long term goal i.e. value investing. Your website and real-estate firm would definitely garner interest in an adcomm.

Good luck with your application.

The Apphelp Global Team
Admissions Consultant

Apphelp Global

Visit us at: http://www.apphelp.us
Email: info@apphelp.us
Phone: +1 415 800 3436

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 11:37
Thanks for your comments. By the best, do you mean the best out of the programs that I have selected or the best meaning top 10 programs?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 11:06
Since I haven't heard back from 'apphelpglobal', does anyone else think I should try to do applications from Top programs, rather than the ones that I have selected, given my profile?

Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 12:39
I think you can probably put one or two top schools in there, just to try it out. This of course depends on how you define "top". Fuqua and Ross are both great schools and have consistently ranked in the 10-15 range. I think you'll have a hard time gaining entry to H/S/W, but you can throw in Columbia and Chicago Booth (for their finance programs and ibanking opportunities) if you desire. Know that these are probably a big stretch, but it'll at least ease your mind about not applying to top schools at all.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Eval, can i get into these schools?   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 12:39