Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM (Silver Scholar)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:18
Hi,
I would really appreciate if you can assess my profile for MS Fin Programs and also suggest me with some which suit best for my profile.
For the start, I am an undergrad and have absolutely no work Experience(except for 4 interns all on quant side)

Acads
Final year student from Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (Majors in Biotechnology)
GPA - 8.00 / 10
GMAT - 730 (Q - 50, V - 39, AWA - 5.5)

Internships
An internship at Marketing Analytics, Credit Cards at a major MNC Bank -
-aimed at cost saving in marketing campaigns through Predictive Modeling
An internship with a descent B School in Germany - Hypothesis testing in Financial markets.
An Intern with a Startup Investment Consulting Firm in India.
Intern with a Major Drug Production Plant of a Large MNC - it involved optimization of medicine bottle diameters ( A cost Saving project)

College Projects
Project in Protein structure prediction via Bioinformatics.
Project in Protein structure prediction via X-ray Crystallography.
Final Year Project in Predictions and testing for DNA molecules sequences.

Social Service Experience -
A part of social service campaigns through NSS IIT Roorkee, involving the improvement in educational standards in Uttarakhand, India.
One of the Pioneers and Project Manager of Eduslum Program, which was created to find an out of the box solution for elevating standards of education in India.
Managed a team of over 35 Volunteers in Eduslum.

Achievements
3rd youngest in world and youngest in India to hold Chartered Market Technician II from Market Technicians Association, USA.
Part of two Trekking Expeditions - Himalayan Explorer's Club, IIT Roorkee.

My main concern is which MS Finance programs (in USA) should I target and before doing so, should I get any work experience (like applying next year after 1 yr of work exp). I also wanted to know if some lower ranked programs can accept me with this profile and no work exp.

Thanks a ton for reading and really appreciate the time and efforts.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 12:58
Expert's post
DegenerateMind wrote:
Hi,
I would really appreciate if you can assess my profile for MS Fin Programs and also suggest me with some which suit best for my profile.
For the start, I am an undergrad and have absolutely no work Experience(except for 4 interns all on quant side)

Acads
Final year student from Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (Majors in Biotechnology)
GPA - 8.00 / 10
GMAT - 730 (Q - 50, V - 39, AWA - 5.5)

Internships
An internship at Marketing Analytics, Credit Cards at a major MNC Bank -
-aimed at cost saving in marketing campaigns through Predictive Modeling
An internship with a descent B School in Germany - Hypothesis testing in Financial markets.
An Intern with a Startup Investment Consulting Firm in India.
Intern with a Major Drug Production Plant of a Large MNC - it involved optimization of medicine bottle diameters ( A cost Saving project)

College Projects
Project in Protein structure prediction via Bioinformatics.
Project in Protein structure prediction via X-ray Crystallography.
Final Year Project in Predictions and testing for DNA molecules sequences.

Social Service Experience -
A part of social service campaigns through NSS IIT Roorkee, involving the improvement in educational standards in Uttarakhand, India.
One of the Pioneers and Project Manager of Eduslum Program, which was created to find an out of the box solution for elevating standards of education in India.
Managed a team of over 35 Volunteers in Eduslum.

Achievements
3rd youngest in world and youngest in India to hold Chartered Market Technician II from Market Technicians Association, USA.
Part of two Trekking Expeditions - Himalayan Explorer's Club, IIT Roorkee.

My main concern is which MS Finance programs (in USA) should I target and before doing so, should I get any work experience (like applying next year after 1 yr of work exp). I also wanted to know if some lower ranked programs can accept me with this profile and no work exp.

Thanks a ton for reading and really appreciate the time and efforts.

Your grades and GMAT are excellent, and you should aim for the top MS in finance programs. If those school require experience, and many do, then work for a year or two. Check out MIT, LBS, Columbia, and Chicago's MS programs. MIT does not require work experience. LBS does. I'm not sure about the others.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM (Silver Scholar)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 11:56
Thanks a lot..! Will probably target Sloan, Princeton and few others.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 09:48
Please assess my profile for MBA admission for Fall 2011.

Undergrad: Engineering (top 15 schools, India)
Undergrad GPA: 4.0 (Overall distinction)
Grad: Diploma in Economics from London School of Economics
Grad GPA: 3.0
GMAT:740 (Q50,V40)
GRE:1550 (Q800,V750)

Work Ex: 2.5 years SAP IT consultant, 1 year Business development consultant at a public sector engineering consultancy (Water and power sector consulting).

Community Service: Greenpeace volunteer, founder and team leader of local environment club, Volunteer at local hospital.

Target schools: CMU-Tepper (Application Submitted), Penn State-Smeal, NUS (Singapore), Emory, Duke, Texas-McCombs, Texas A&M.

Thanks and Regards
Kushagra
Expert Post

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 21:02
Expert's post
kushagra452 wrote:
Please assess my profile for MBA admission for Fall 2011.

Undergrad: Engineering (top 15 schools, India)
Undergrad GPA: 4.0 (Overall distinction)
Grad: Diploma in Economics from London School of Economics
Grad GPA: 3.0
GMAT:740 (Q50,V40)
GRE:1550 (Q800,V750)

Work Ex: 2.5 years SAP IT consultant, 1 year Business development consultant at a public sector engineering consultancy (Water and power sector consulting).

Community Service: Greenpeace volunteer, founder and team leader of local environment club, Volunteer at local hospital.

Target schools: CMU-Tepper (Application Submitted), Penn State-Smeal, NUS (Singapore), Emory, Duke, Texas-McCombs, Texas A&M.

Thanks and Regards
Kushagra

You have a competitive profile for the schools you have applied to. Your grad GPA is really the only blemish. Is there a reason for the drop in grades? Did you provide it?

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 02:04
Thank for for the prompt reply Linda. :)

The Grad GPA is a concern for me as well. I fell sick in December 2009 and lost a lot of ground when I joined back after the Christmas break. I will be mentioning this in the optional essay.

I was also looking at some online courses offered through Stanford EPGY, UCLA extension. Good grades in these courses might help in mitigating (to some extent) the low grad GPA in LSE.

Would Ross, Duke and Rotman be "stretches" for me?

Many Thanks again!

Regards
Kushagra
Expert Post

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 22:49
Expert's post
kushagra452 wrote:
Thank for for the prompt reply Linda. :)

The Grad GPA is a concern for me as well. I fell sick in December 2009 and lost a lot of ground when I joined back after the Christmas break. I will be mentioning this in the optional essay.

I was also looking at some online courses offered through Stanford EPGY, UCLA extension. Good grades in these courses might help in mitigating (to some extent) the low grad GPA in LSE.

Would Ross, Duke and Rotman be "stretches" for me?

Many Thanks again!

Regards
Kushagra

I think you are a competitive applicant for Ross, Duke and Rotman and encourage you to apply to them.

FYI, we have a Q&A with Ross admissions directors Soojin Kwon Koh and Jonathan Fuller today at 10 AM PT. Please feel free to come.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553