Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM (Silver Scholar)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 15:42
Hi,
I would really appreciate if you can assess my profile for MS Fin Programs and also suggest me with some which suit best for my profile.
For the start, I am an undergrad and have absolutely no work Experience(except for 4 interns all on quant side)

Acads
Final year student from Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (Majors in Biotechnology)
GPA - 8.00 / 10
GMAT - 730 (Q - 50, V - 39, AWA - 5.5)

Internships
An internship at Marketing Analytics, Credit Cards at a major MNC Bank -
-aimed at cost saving in marketing campaigns through Predictive Modeling
An internship with a descent B School in Germany - Hypothesis testing in Financial markets.
An Intern with a Startup Investment Consulting Firm in India.
Intern with a Major Drug Production Plant of a Large MNC - it involved optimization of medicine bottle diameters ( A cost Saving project)

College Projects
Project in Protein structure prediction via Bioinformatics.
Project in Protein structure prediction via X-ray Crystallography.
Final Year Project in Predictions and testing for DNA molecules sequences.

Social Service Experience -
A part of social service campaigns through NSS IIT Roorkee, involving the improvement in educational standards in Uttarakhand, India.
One of the Pioneers and Project Manager of Eduslum Program, which was created to find an out of the box solution for elevating standards of education in India.
Managed a team of over 35 Volunteers in Eduslum.

Achievements
3rd youngest in world and youngest in India to hold Chartered Market Technician II from Market Technicians Association, USA.
Part of two Trekking Expeditions - Himalayan Explorer's Club, IIT Roorkee.

My main concern is which MS Finance programs (in USA) should I target and before doing so, should I get any work experience (like applying next year after 1 yr of work exp). I also wanted to know if some lower ranked programs can accept me with this profile and no work exp.

Thanks a ton for reading and really appreciate the time and efforts.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 09:08
Expert's post
Hi, thanks for reaching out. Let me start by saying that you don't need work experience for MFin programs the same way you do for MBA programs because they are not designed the same way. An MBA is a midstream degree designed to help people from a variety of industries and in a variety of functions progress as managers and leaders. It's about climbing a rung and bringing an entire management toolkit to a professional position. An MFin is about mastering a subject and ramping up technical skills. It can obviously be a springboard into further academia, into research, but also into elite eventual management positions (sometimes by later getting your MBA). The MFin is a great path for *right now.* There's no use waiting or buying time with some work experience padding. It's a degree that is all about opening doors into jobs, rather than elevating your career path.

As for programs, any MFin list has to start with the Bendheim Center at Princeton. Amazing program, incredible placement, obviously very hard to get into. Stern and Wharton are both super elite business schools with great masters programs.

Abroad you should consider HEC Paris and also Said at Oxford.

Stateside, take a look at MIT Sloan's new program (although I think it has an early application deadline so you might be too late) and also Wash U and Boston College.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM (Silver Scholar)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 12:44
Thanks a ton paul...! It was of great help..!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Eval for MS Finance / Financial Engg. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 19:47
Expert's post
No problem. Let us know if you want to work on your apps. We offer slightly lower rates for MFin programs. You can PM me if you are interested or you can email consult@amerasiallc.com (just be sure to include your profile name in the subject line).

-PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton