Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval for Top 10 Hopeful

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Profile Eval for Top 10 Hopeful [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 16:57
Profile: 25 year old white male (but don't plan on applying for 1-2 years)

Education: 3.28 GPA from UCLA (major in Biology, minor in Accounting). Note that I graduated in five years due to the addition of my minor and I did receive one F early in my career because I chose to pursue a job that conflicted with the timing of my class. I subsequently retook this class and got a B+.

GMAT: 770 (Q50, V45) in June 2011. (Is GMAT score enough to sufficiently offset the below average GPA?)

Work Experience: Finishing up my second year at one of the Big Four accounting firms in Audit. I plan on having between four and five years of total experience at the firm upon matriculation and will have my CPA license. I will be promoted to Senior Associate this summer and will have plenty of experience running engagements (responsible for managing my staff, the client, and the managers/partner) when applying.

Extracurriculars:
- I was recently nominated for and granted a spot on our Senior Leadership Council. This is a group of about 12 senior associates from the firm's Pacific Southwest offices that is responsible for engaging our peers to gauge what their complaints are and then working with management to resolve these issues (with the goal of decreasing turnover).
- Involved with the United Way (dedicated to fighting poverty in LA)
- VP of Homeowner's Association (good experience negotiating with/persuading people much older than myself)

Basically I am most interested in attending a top school and am leaning towards Wharton, CBS, Kellogg, Booth, Ross, Haas, Anderson, Stern. I was wondering if you think it is reasonable that I only apply to these schools (without any real safety school). I don't know if I'd be interested in attending a lower ranked school just for the sake of going back to school.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer with regards to school selection or steps that I can take in the next couple years to improve my chances. I'm definitely considering the use of a consultant down the line to maximize my odds.

Many thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval for Top 10 Hopeful [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 17:30
beehagit,

You look to be in good shape for all the schools you mentioned, with Wharton, Haas, and NYU the toughest, and UCLA the most doable (if you continue on your current path, UCLA could be a safety for you). I do think your mighty GMAT score offsets the GPA, which is not bad, especially given your rigorous coursework. My only advice would be to find one non-work-related extracurricular that you care about (reflects a real personal interest of yours) and pursue some kind of leadership role in an organization related to that extracurricular. Then you'll have strong leadership on both sides of your profile.

Good luck to you,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval for Top 10 Hopeful [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:25
Thanks for the response, Paul! Is there a reason in particular that you think Haas and NYU would be more of a challenge for me than CBS or the Chicago schools?

Frankly this would be welcome news because I am much more interested in these schools than those that you mentioned, with the exception being Wharton.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval for Top 10 Hopeful [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:54
beehagit wrote:
Thanks for the response, Paul! Is there a reason in particular that you think Haas and NYU would be more of a challenge for me than CBS or the Chicago schools?

Yes, my reason was that Haas and NYU are historically more selective (admission rate) than the Chicago schools. CBS and NYU have similar selectivity rates, but you can improve your odds at CBS by applying Early Decision.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Re: Profile Eval for Top 10 Hopeful   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2011, 10:54