Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval for Top JD/MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval for Top JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 07:02
Hi. I am thinking of applying to a JD/MBA program and eventually starting my own Economics consulting company or entering into financial restructuring (both of which are relevant to a joint-degree holder). I think I am fairly set on the JD portion of the application since law school admissions are more of a numbers game. I am worried about my chances at the business school since I fit the "cookie cutter" profile of many Asian American applicants and don't really distinguish myself from the pack (high GPA, too bookish, standard ECs). I initially wanted to apply to the top schools this year but now am more reluctant due to my lack of work experience (I previously was going to enter with 2 years of full time experience but am planning on applying next year instead). Should I aim several notches lower? Should I go ahead and apply this year or wait an extra year? Thanks.

Asian American (Chinese) male

UG: BA from University of Pennsylvania in Economics and Mathematics
GPA: 3.95 overall
GMAT: 770 (LSAT:175)
EC: During college, president of organization that ran 3 homeless shelters in Philly. University Orchestra. Teaching Assistant, other minor things. Post-college- have maintained volunteering at the homeless shelter, joined a community orchestra in NYC
Work Experience: Economics consulting... 1 full year at NERA . Will have 2 when I enter... I figure I should wait another year before applying
MBA Plans I'd want to continue in economics consulting and hopefully start my own firm, or transition into financial restructuring

My dream school is Stanford but that's not happening. I'm applying to the 4 year JD-MBA programs at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and the 3 year programs at Yale, Penn, and Northwestern.

Again, I'm worried about my business school chances but not too worried about law school. In the case I get accepted to a slew of law schools (e.g. Harvard/Stanford) but no/very few business schools, would it be wise to enroll as a first year law student, then reapply as a first year to the business school?

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval for Top JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 09:10
kbellaiche,

You have very good numbers and are by no means a 'cookie cutter' applicant from what I can see. You are correct that your work experience is on the light side for B-school, so in that respect you should probably consider waiting. To be competitive at the B-schools of the universities you listed, you need to bulk up the leadership--hopefully more leadership at work and maybe expand your leadership at the shelter. However, work experience/leadership seem to be your only liability and there is no harm in applying, getting dinged, and reapplying. Whether you can enroll in law school and then apply to that university's B-school depends on the specific requirements of the program. Law school is demanding so you may not have the time to apply to B-school. A final factor is why you need both degrees. Before applying to any B-schools you need to nail down that Why question. Based only on the information you gave me, I would say that Yale and Kellogg are the most doable B-schools for you now with your current profile.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter