Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

old (delete)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

old (delete) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 04:04
ty

Last edited by AlyoshaKaramazov on 12 Mar 2013, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile eval. from law school to biz to navy? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 22:51
Expert's post
AlyoshaKaramazov wrote:
Quants:
GPA: 3.71 at T50 university in a Social Science
GMAT: 720 Q48 V40

Current age: 24

After graduating from undergrad in 2010 I spent the year taking some accounting courses and preparing for law school and entered in August 2011 at a T30 law school. Finished in the top 1/3 of the class after 1st semester, but decided that processing the work of others wasn't something that I valued and ultimately wasn't going to give me the fight to get up daily. Withdrew from law school and spent the next 3 months looking for a job. Got a job at a well recognized organization development firm in a sales role with a contract that says that after a year I can move into a more quant role with leadership potential on the horizon.

I know the story for helping to rationalize my path is important as are my career goals and spend a good amount of time tightening them up, however, the more research I do, I find that getting leadership through the military is something that is at the very least something that is recognized by B schools. I guess the concern, but real and likely to be perceived, is that I'm not sure what my values are and that they will just think I'm bouncing around, which is entirely 100% true.

Maybe the advice I'm looking for here is going to be soft or good and brusque, but I do hope to get your thoughts.

Are you thinking of joining the military to improve your chances of acceptance to business school or are you thinking of joining the military because you value the experience you will receive? And maybe want to serve?

I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile eval. from law school to biz to navy? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:45
ty

Last edited by AlyoshaKaramazov on 12 Mar 2013, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile eval. from law school to biz to navy? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 19:29
Expert's post
AlyoshaKaramazov wrote:
I value both, I know that type of experience is well respected by adcoms and it is also something that I think I would find valuable. I also recognize that so much diverse movement could potentially be a bad thing from a stability and trajectory perspective. I enjoy my current job, but I'm concerned that I wont get enough leadership experience in my current role and that the brand of my company wont be strong enough to impress adcoms.

Thanks. I would never recommend joining the military solely to impress admissions committees. However that doesn't seem to be the case here.

While admissions committees do value a clear trajectory at some point, they also understand that some young people may experiment a little or a have false start or two down different paths. Remember 50% of b-school applicants (or more depending on who you are talking to) are career changers.. They are used to some changes.

I don't think your stopping law school will cause anyone much concern. It happens. Joining the military is not something schools tend to question and is seen positively both by admissions committees and future employers. It is seen as service as well as valuable leadership experience, especially if one serves as an officer.

Basically, I don't think joining the military, if that is what you choose to do, will be an issue at all. And I don't think your recent twists will be a problem. When you get out of the service, you will need to explain how your past experience will inform your future career. But worry about that in the future.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog