Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help please! - GMAT 680; Strategy; Oxford undergrad

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help please! - GMAT 680; Strategy; Oxford undergrad [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 14:19
Dear All,

I'm really keen to apply to business school. I would love to get some insight into my profile as to whether it stands a good chance for the schools I'm interested in applying to, namely Harvard, Wharton and MIT

Background - British-born Pakistani, currently based in London
Education - Engineering from University of Oxford to Masters level (MEng)
Internships - Treasury (UK civil service, 2 months), M&A (Investment bank, 4 months), M&A (boutique in Nairobi, Kenya, 2 months)
Full-time - Top consultancy (2.5 years, financial services sector focus), strategy at a British bank (1.5 years)
GMAT - 680 (q-61st v-90th percentiles) 1st time

Story - lots of financial crisis related financial services experience (public policy and regulatory response projects e.g. Bank recapitalizations, research paper into financial crisis) that, post MBA I want to leverage in promoting financial sector development in developing countries (since a sound financial system is the bedrock upon which economics development occurs)

My issue is the low GMAT score and the fact that although I got a 2:1 degree at university (apologies, don't know the GPA equivalent) it was quite low with large variability in individual modules.

Feedback and advice as to whether I should aim for the top b-schools or revise my expectations downwards would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Help please! - GMAT 680; Strategy; Oxford undergrad [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 23:30
Expert's post
Hi WasimTahir,

Thanks for posting. Have you considered taking the GMAT test again? The reason is because your score is below the averages of the schools you listed. For the GMAT, your highest score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your best score. Your score is something an admissions team will consider.

Other than your GMAT, you do have a strong application. I would recommend not ignoring the other areas in your application, for example your personal essays and recommendations.

If you'd like, we provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap