Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval : GMAT 730, WE: 3.5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '16
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval : GMAT 730, WE: 3.5 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 21:25
Dear All,

Find below the details of my profile and kindly suggest the right track :

Undergrad : B.E. Information Technology ( India )
C.G.P.A : 3.2/4.0

Exceptional Grades in Labs and projects : all A+.
upward trend in GPA throughout from 3.0 to 3.5

GMAT : 730

IELTS : 8.5

CFA : LEVEL 3 candidate

Computer SKills : Excellent in C++,Java, Database Prog. Completed several projects involving networking, AI at school.

Work Experience:

1. Family Business, Mid Level retail company with 500+ employees.
3.5 years
-> Very active involvement.
-> Set up the company IT Department and currently control the entire IT for company.
-> Also involved in merchandising, dealing in many reputed multi-national brands.
-> For merchandising purposes, traveled extensively to South East Asia, China, South
Africa, Europe.
-> Day to day management of operations/staff/sales/inventory etc.
-> Interviewed for/wrote company profiles etc for several national magazines on request from editors of magazines, published.

2. Internship : 4 months
Leading Software Security Company

Community Service/Activities :
1. Organized a 1 month long class at Salaam Baalak Trust Mumbai, for young kids from poor slums in Mumbai, with a prior training in Computers, and taught them basic animation and story telling with Alice Programming language.

2. Proponent of blood donation : regularly donate blood every 3-4 months and encourage the same in people around me.

3. At college, President of Astronomy Club.
Skilled in giving dome shows at Planetarium, conducting night sky watch sessions, operating telescopes, presentation of astronomical concepts.

4. In the annual college event, planned,organized and executed the mega event as director, which was a week long competition and eventually aired on a local television channel. I was honored as the producer.

5. Love trekking, been on several hiking trips to Himachal, amateur in skiing, completed a short course in Manali on skiing.

6. Proficient in French. Cleared DELF Level A1,A2,B1.

Schooling :
1. Prestigious Boarding School.
2. Member of the first ever Students Council.
3. Member of the house quiz team, stood 2nd in annual comp.
4. Winner of poem recitals continuously for 3 yrs, as a member of a team.
5. NCC
6. Lead role in School Musical.
7. Distinction Holder/ top 15-20% of class always.
8. Mathematics - top 5% in batch, member of A stream in mathematics.
9. Participated in swimming, shotput, basketball.

For the sake of simplicity, I do not plan to add my school details etc in resume.
In your opinion should I highlight my school exp or not?

I believe my strengths are in GMAT/CFA/ Work EX.

What schools should I aim for?
My interest is in top notch : Wharton, LBS, Columbia, NYU Stern, Insead, Booth.
How about HBS?
How can I improve.
Also what should not be mentioned in my profile for application/omitted from above if anything.

My short term goal : A job in Portfolio Management/ Equity.
Long Term Goal : Expansion of Family Business to pan India Level and diversification into capital management/asset management.

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval : GMAT 730, WE: 3.5 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 16:30
Expert's post
bhaskeee wrote:
Dear All,

Find below the details of my profile and kindly suggest the right track :

Undergrad : B.E. Information Technology ( India )
C.G.P.A : 3.2/4.0

Exceptional Grades in Labs and projects : all A+.
upward trend in GPA throughout from 3.0 to 3.5

GMAT : 730

IELTS : 8.5

CFA : LEVEL 3 candidate

Computer SKills : Excellent in C++,Java, Database Prog. Completed several projects involving networking, AI at school.

Work Experience:

1. Family Business, Mid Level retail company with 500+ employees.
3.5 years
-> Very active involvement.
-> Set up the company IT Department and currently control the entire IT for company.
-> Also involved in merchandising, dealing in many reputed multi-national brands.
-> For merchandising purposes, traveled extensively to South East Asia, China, South
Africa, Europe.
-> Day to day management of operations/staff/sales/inventory etc.
-> Interviewed for/wrote company profiles etc for several national magazines on request from editors of magazines, published.

2. Internship : 4 months
Leading Software Security Company

Community Service/Activities :
1. Organized a 1 month long class at Salaam Baalak Trust Mumbai, for young kids from poor slums in Mumbai, with a prior training in Computers, and taught them basic animation and story telling with Alice Programming language.

2. Proponent of blood donation : regularly donate blood every 3-4 months and encourage the same in people around me.

3. At college, President of Astronomy Club.
Skilled in giving dome shows at Planetarium, conducting night sky watch sessions, operating telescopes, presentation of astronomical concepts.

4. In the annual college event, planned,organized and executed the mega event as director, which was a week long competition and eventually aired on a local television channel. I was honored as the producer.

5. Love trekking, been on several hiking trips to Himachal, amateur in skiing, completed a short course in Manali on skiing.

6. Proficient in French. Cleared DELF Level A1,A2,B1.

Schooling :
1. Prestigious Boarding School.
2. Member of the first ever Students Council.
3. Member of the house quiz team, stood 2nd in annual comp.
4. Winner of poem recitals continuously for 3 yrs, as a member of a team.
5. NCC
6. Lead role in School Musical.
7. Distinction Holder/ top 15-20% of class always.
8. Mathematics - top 5% in batch, member of A stream in mathematics.
9. Participated in swimming, shotput, basketball.

For the sake of simplicity, I do not plan to add my school details etc in resume.
In your opinion should I highlight my school exp or not?

I believe my strengths are in GMAT/CFA/ Work EX.

What schools should I aim for?
My interest is in top notch : Wharton, LBS, Columbia, NYU Stern, Insead, Booth.
How about HBS?
How can I improve.
Also what should not be mentioned in my profile for application/omitted from above if anything.

My short term goal : A job in Portfolio Management/ Equity.
Long Term Goal : Expansion of Family Business to pan India Level and diversification into capital management/asset management.

Regards

Assuming you attended a college known for rigor, you have a competitive profile for your target programs. You may also want to consider Tuck, Duke and Yale. You are right about your strengths.

It's very hard for me to advise you in a forum post on what to include in your resume, except to say that I would not include anything from high school.

If you would like help with your MBA application, please check out Accepted's services.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog