Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 11:12
Stats
GMAT 710 (Q49/V39); 92 (83%/88%)
Nationality :Indian

Engineering:Production engineering (operations and Supply chain) from a Top government College .

GPA: 8 on scale of 10

Work Experience: Total - 4 years
1 st 2.5 years:Major Machine Design and Factory automation firm

0.5 years experience in vendor management.
1 year shop floor supervisor. handled a group of technicians for machine building and commissioning.
1 year design of machine and assembly lines for product assembly( responsible for whole project from initial discussion to commissioning) .

Next 1.5 years: Major automobile firm from Europe.

1 year : Design of assembly lines for automobile components (includes shop floor coordination and supplier interactions) onsite engineer in India .
0.5 years :supply chain and purchase and design of fixtures for assembly components .

Extra Curricular
Volunteer at government school to teach kids mathematics and cricket.
Part of company CSR team.
National/State level cricket player.
Captain university team in the final year.
Part of company cricket team.
Member of organizing committee for cultural as well as technical fests at college.
Internship at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore as assistant to prof. on writing a operations management book for 2 months.

Certifications:
1) Green Belt six sigma.
2) learning German( if that helps).

Why MBA?

The main focus is Operations Management and supply chain.
short term:To gain more experience and exposure in any of major operations or supply chain companies
long term: To take over family business ( not that big) of import and export of heavy machinery( related to operations and supply chain).

Target Schools
Stretch:MIT-Sloan,IESE
Match :Tepper, Ross,ISB, Said.
Safety:NUS, Krannert (purdue), Cranfield

My cause for worry is that I do not have enough quality of WE. Should I wait another year? I don't have any subordinates who report to me. I do not have a promotion to show for as I switched jobs when i was to be promoted. I most probably will be promoted next year beginning.
All that said I will still get glowing recommendations.
Is it a weakness to be an applicant with mostly technical experience?

Request you to please evaluate my profile and advise if I the list seems realistic and if I need to add/remove some schools.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Work with hope in Heart and dreams in the eyes .... And leave the mind for GMAT problems ;)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 12:55
Gonnaflynow wrote:
Stats

Engineering:Production engineering (operations and Supply chain) from a Top government College .

1 year shop floor supervisor. handled a group of technicians for machine building and commissioning.
1 year design of machine and assembly lines for product assembly( responsible for whole project from initial discussion to commissioning) .

1 year : Design of assembly lines for automobile components (includes shop floor coordination and supplier interactions) onsite engineer in India .
0.5 years :supply chain and purchase and design of fixtures for assembly components .

Extra Curricular
Member of organizing committee for cultural as well as technical fests at college.
Internship at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore as assistant to prof. on writing a operations management book for 2 months.

Certifications:
1) Green Belt six sigma.

Why MBA?

short term:To gain more experience and exposure in any of major operations or supply chain companies
long term: To take over family business ( not that big) of import and export of heavy machinery( related to operations and supply chain).

Target Schools

My cause for worry is that I do not have enough quality of WE. Should I wait another year? I don't have any subordinates who report to me. I do not have a promotion to show for as I switched jobs when i was to be promoted. I most probably will be promoted next year beginning.

Request you to please evaluate my profile and advise if I the list seems realistic and if I need to add/remove some schools.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Being a non-IT guy helps but you're still an engineer, and it seems like 99% of the Indians applying to b-school are men with engineering backgrounds. Keep in mind that no other nationality has this much homogeneity in the b-school applications process.

With that said, I think you're targeting the right range of schools. You have a solid profile and in the sweet spot for most engineering applicants (around 5-7 years of experience at matriculation, at least with the US schools; for the Euro schools it skews a little older - by about a year or two). So you may be a tad young, but not prohibitively so - basically if you really want to apply this year, go for it.

As for managing subordinates I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point since most folks applying to b-school with less than 8 years experience typically don't have formal supervisory experience (i.e. the leadership is mostly project-based). What you want to focus on is that you aren't just a technical whiz, but someone who is a strong team player, and who knows how to be effective in getting things done within a team. That's key and really what many b-schools care about in reality since a big part of the MBA experience is team-based (you do a lot of your coursework in project teams). Furthermore, in the first few years post-MBA, a lot of the work will still be team-based (i.e. a lot of MBA alums don't tend to get true supervisory experience until 5+ years post-MBA anyhow).

Again, just do the best you can on the applications, and there's a decent chance you'll get into a few of the schools on your list if you apply this year. Good luck!

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 22:29
Hi,

You have an avg. profile with good GMAT/GPA and ECs. With 4+ yrs. of work experience you are in ideal phase of your career which most of the b-school(s) look for. Subsequently, you need to work hard on application essays and showcase how different you are from other applicants, how an MBA from XYZ b-school will help to achieve your goals, how you will contribute to the b-school society and other skills/aptitudes during final interviews. If you are able to share your story and position well in essays & interviews then you will stand a chance in b-school(s). Having said this, you may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/b-school-selector.php

Let me know in case of further queries. You may PM your details for school selection and discussion in length.

Regards
Erina

Gonnaflynow wrote:
Stats

Extra Curricular

Certifications:
1) Green Belt six sigma.

Why MBA?

Target Schools

Appreciate your help

Thanks

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 05:08
Hi there,

You have an average profile with good GMAT and GPA. You have 4 years of work experience and by the time you will apply and submit application you will have approx 4.5 years of work experience. Most of the business school are looking for around 4-5 years of work experience. So if you would delay more and wait for another year, you need to justify more on your application with respect to your work and managerial experience. So, I would suggest you to apply this year itself instead of waiting for another year.

As per your profile I would suggest you to target NUS, NYU, Duke, Tepper, Ross, Purdue, ISB, Kenan Flagler and Emory.

I would suggest you to take seek advice from experts and give your essays a perfect shape. However you may need to cleveraly prepare for the questions like why you want to do MBA at this stage of your your life and so on.

You may also gauge your chances of getting admit in a top business schools by trying the tool http://tinyurl.com/acrp3n7

Hope it helps. To discuss about your profile in detail you may also PM your details.

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 07:49
Your GMAT score is a little on the low side for Indian applicants to top MBA programs. But your non-IT background will help.

MIT Sloan is a stretch. I do not think IESE is a stretch. I think you are competitive for IESE, Ross, and Said. Tepper is not a safety school but you are very strong there.

MBA schools generally like younger applicants and you can always reapply the following year. Show leadership experience through leading indirect reports (projects), influencing stakeholders and demonstrating initiative beyond your title.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score.

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: Profile Eval: Indian, Non IT   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2013, 07:49