Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval: Intl Work Ex

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval: Intl Work Ex [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 11:26
Hi Alex,

Just some basic info on myself for perspective:

Nationality: American (South Asian)
GMAT: 660 (Q:46 V:35) (Retake will be on August 25th.)
GPA: 3.7 (Top 10 undergrad business program)
Work Ex: 16 months as an Investments Analyst (~30 months by Fall 2011)
EC: Lots of volunteer work (humans and animals, some teaching stuff too).

School Choices:
Columbia, Wharton, Northwestern, Harvard (from first to last choice). I'm planning on applying to Columbia and Wharton in R1 and Northwestern and Harvard in R2.

In terms of my work ex, I've been working for a multi-billion dollar real estate developer in the Persian Gulf. Even though my company is a real estate development firm, we operate like a P/E firm so I've been exposed to the P/E side of investments as well. Most of my work, however, deals with real estate development, asset/property management, real estate investments/finance...basically everything there is to see in real estate except for starting and managing your own real estate fund. I've worked on deals involving every type of asset class available in real estate (from undeveloped land to hotels), and I've worked on deals that range from 8-10 figures (in US Dollars).

Long story short, I've had exposure to some huge projects that you normally wouldn't get the chance to work on in the US or in Europe and I've worked on a variety of different types of asset classes and investments within real estate. My involvement on these deals is much greater than the average analyst, and it shows in my knowledge of the real estate industry in not just the Middle East, but in Europe, Asia, and the US. So even though my work ex is a little light, I've probably done more than my peers in the US have.

I know that I want to do real estate finance for the rest of my life, and I'm very familiar with the real estate finance program at Columbia. I plan on visiting Columbia next week on Monday, but I've been in talks with some CBS alums within the real estate industry. From what they've told me, it sounds like a great place to be if you want to do something in real estate. I've also heard very good things about Wharton's RE program, but I'm still doing my DD on the school.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read through my profile.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Intl Work Ex [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 14:09
I think it just comes down to your GMAT - if it's 700 or greater, you should be competitive for your top choices. If it's 660-690, then you'll be on the margins -- not impossible, but a stretch (but still worth at least applying and doing your best).

Columbia does have a great real estate program. Chris Mayer who heads Columbia's real estate program was my real estate prof @ Wharton (as I waived out of all the finance core courses, it was the only finance course I actually took at Wharton haha). Had I took that course in the first year, I probably would've ended up majoring in real estate. Either way, both schools take a very practitioner-oriented approach to real estate. No bullsh*t theory. Chris Mayer certainly was of that vein too, and it was all about giving you practical tools to evaluate and manage real estate projects.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Eval: Intl Work Ex   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2010, 14:09