Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval.. just took the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Eval.. just took the GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 12:53
Hi guys,

I just walked out of the GMAT test center and got a 710 (47Q, 41V). I've never gotten a quant score this low in my practice exams.

I would really appreciate an honest opinion that's SPECIFIC to my goals.

I am a management consultant with decent amount of extracurricular (volunteering: helping finance projects in under-privileged communities, soccer league, family business).

My goal is to switch to Finance - Investment Banking in Technology. My target schools are: Booth, Columbia, Wharton, and Sloan (possibly Haas as well since im from the Bay Area).

Academically speaking, nothing in my profile stands out. I went to a non-target school (think: UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSD), got a decent 3.6 with honors (Computer Science). Now I got a 710 that's decent but doesn't stand out.

Would this "average academic" be a hurdle in terms of admissions to the schools mentioned above? Should I re-take the GMAT? Especially since I'm pretty confident that I can improve my quant score (no guarantees on Verbal whether it'll go up or down).

Please advise.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Eval.. just took the GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 13:45
i should note that i work at a second tier consulting firm (non MBB). 2 years of experience so far, will get promoted in a few months. im thinking of applying for '17 class (2 years from now).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval.. just took the GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 15:41
topspin360,
Given the schools you're targeting, your goals, and your confidence you can raise the quant score, I would retake it unless you have something 'extra' somewhere in your profile that would make you more attractive to these schools. If you send me your resume (paulbodine@yahoo.com), I could give you my take on that 'something extra.'

--Paul S. Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, http://www.paulsbodine.com

topspin360 wrote:
Hi guys,

I just walked out of the GMAT test center and got a 710 (47Q, 41V). I've never gotten a quant score this low in my practice exams.

I would really appreciate an honest opinion that's SPECIFIC to my goals.

I am a management consultant with decent amount of extracurricular (volunteering: helping finance projects in under-privileged communities, soccer league, family business).

My goal is to switch to Finance - Investment Banking in Technology. My target schools are: Booth, Columbia, Wharton, and Sloan (possibly Haas as well since im from the Bay Area).

Academically speaking, nothing in my profile stands out. I went to a non-target school (think: UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSD), got a decent 3.6 with honors (Computer Science). Now I got a 710 that's decent but doesn't stand out.

Would this "average academic" be a hurdle in terms of admissions to the schools mentioned above? Should I re-take the GMAT? Especially since I'm pretty confident that I can improve my quant score (no guarantees on Verbal whether it'll go up or down).

Please advise.

Thanks.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval.. just took the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 00:16
Expert's post
Whether to retake or not, to apply this year or not depends on sooo many factors, many of them personal, that I'm not sure I can tell you what do in this forum, without knowing all the facts for consideration. If, as you write, you can get much higher in quant, and if, you are in no rush to get an MBA (meaning you don't HAVE to apply this year), then yes, taking it easy a bit, getting a higher GMAT score, and applying R1 might make sense for you. However if you really are keen on applying this year, it would not be foolish either. You seem to have quite good background (we can find something unique if we dig) and a 710 is good enough in itself to get you in anywhere. Would you have better chances with a 740 and applying R1? For sure. Can you get in now with a 710? Maybe... so it might be worth it to try depending on what else you have in your profile and what your personal needs/desires/plans are.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile Eval.. just took the GMAT   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2012, 00:16